Monday, June 20, 2005

What If... the Johnson Smith Company were still running ads in comics?


johnsonsmith
Originally uploaded by waffyjon.
OK, down to the end of the stuff I'd scanned this weekend, so it's time for what I hope you'll find a very special ad!

This is a modern-day version of the classic Johnson-Smith ads... and all the stuff you see here is actual merchandise they sell today!

Now, I'd imagine that you might see an item here that you'd be interested in buying... but if you can wait a bit longer, I'm getting signed up to be an affiliate with Johnson Smith, so that by clicking a link from this blog, you'll be able to purchase stuff from them, and I can earn a small commission from the sale.

In the meantime, I hope you get as much a kick out of this modern-day mock-up as I had putting it together!

I started off with an actual vintage ad, and tried to find modern equivalents of those items, and plugged those in, using pictures from the JS website.

Once I had those slots filled on the layout, I then found other merchandise JS offers that was similar to that seen in other ads!

All the copy is from JS' website... although sometimes edited for space!

Believe it or not, I created this ad mostly in PhotoShop... and when I had it all done but the coupon, I realized I should've done it in PageMaker and then exported an EPS file, and rasterized it! But I just did that for the coupon.

Jon

Update: OK, things are all set now... as you can see by the banner link!

Things You Never Knew Existed Online Catalog

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! Well executed too. Now I wish they WOULD put ads in comic books again.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.