Friday, October 21, 2005

Mini-Review Time!

Just a short batch this time around... One Marvel book, and a few DC books!

She-Hulk V. 2 #1: Yay! The Dan Slott version of She-Hulk is back! I tell you, I've missed this title... can one hope that, instead of it being just another 12 issues, it'll be a continuing thing? OK, review part: If you liked the previous volume of She-Hulk, you'll like this. If you didn't read the previous volume, give this first issue a try... it's good stuff!

Green Lantern Corps: Recharge #2: The newest recruits to the GLC are put to their first test as trainees... particularly the recruits from Thanagar and Rann, who have to learn to put their planets' political differences and hatreds aside. Plus, lots of goodness with Kyle, Guy, Kilowog, and the rest of the GLC gang! Things are building up to something (it does seem as though things are going to tie in to INFINITE CRISIS here, but I can't quite see how). Look, if you are buying and reading the new Green Lantern title, you're probably getting this book, right? If not... well, I'd definitely recommend it.

Justice 2: The second issue of Alex Ross' JLA vs. the Legion of Doom story is just as good as the first issue, with lots of great visual "Easter Eggs" and a compelling tale... the pieces are still coming together here, and we can't quite see where things are going... with some villains doing good, and others up to their old tricks! I do find the portrayal of the Riddler here very interesting... and I wonder if what's been revealed about him here was ever portrayed anywhere else?

Seven Soldiers: Klarion #4: Hmmm... okay, so there is a resolution of sorts to this miniseries... Klarion's grown from his experiences throughout this mini, but I have to be honest, I'm pretty lost when it comes to seeing how this fits with the other Seven Soldiers minis... and next comes all the new miniseries! Oh, wait, isn't there still one issue left of Zatanna?

Superman 222: OK, this is an OMAC PROJECT aftermath issue, and clearly this and the next issue take place before (well, next issue takes place during) INFNIITE CRISIS. The marriage between Clark and Lois is on shaky ground, thanks to Clark trying to "protect" Lois by not letting her know what's going on... and then he makes matters worse when he further tries to protect her! But fortunately, things between them are better by the end of the tale. IMHO, the marriage between Lois & Clark should be the strongest one in DC Comics, and hopefully, future writers will avoid the easy path of trying to put problems in the way of this relationship.

And that's it for this week's reviews! Told you it was a small batch!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am not sure if you will see this comment. But I wanted to echo your praise on a couple of books. I fell in love with Dan Slott's She-Hulk from issue 2 or 3 of the first series... my shop did not order issue 1 for me.

    I thought this new issue was just great, Bobillo's art was a refreshing return. The inconsistencies make it delightfully unique.

    One thing I would have done differently is perhaps a bit slower introduction of the changes to the law firm. I don't know how well this book would be taken by new readers, but even I was a bit overwhelmed. And I love the letters page, I like it's addition in just about every comic book they allow it in, and I hope this one stays.

    Justice #2, I think this may well go down as my favorite in the series. I am the most knowledgable of Batman (thanks to the animated series) so the rest of it gets a bit muddled for me. I loved the first six or so pages of Riddler using Wayne Enterprises to hack the batcomputer, and the hilarity that results.

    Just a very good issue all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always see all comments, even if I don't necessarily comment on them (blogger emails comments to me, which lets me delete any that are just spam).

    Thanks for your comments, Justin!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.