Sunday, October 16, 2005

This 'n That, aka Weekend Update!

So, another busy weekend here at the Knutson/Reier Residence...

Friday night itself was fairly loose and casual here... both Jessi and I were stressing a bit about the Saturday weigh-in... Jessi because she was about to get to her next sub-goal, and I... well... I need to explain a bit more.

Friday morning, I stepped on the scale at home, and it showed a two-pound loss from last Saturday. I was feeling pretty good about that, but when I got to work, I found out that not only were two of the sales guys (a pair we refer to as the "dynamic duo") were bringing in lunch for my department (which I knew about in advance) but a different pair of salespeople were also bringing in pizza for us! So, first the four foot long sub arrived (which I had about 4 inches of), and then the pizza (which I had 1 piece of -- veggie lovers, to be exact).

It was enough to not only offset my loss, but also bring me to a gain. Sheesh.

Saturday's daytime was very busy... we had a lot of stops planned, and still had to get home in time to clean the house before my brother Jeff and his wife, Kristi, came over for dinner. First stop was Jessi's bank, so she could deposit the bills check from me (we keep exchanging the same amount of money every two weeks... the first of the month, she gives me her share of the rent, then two weeks later, I give her my share of the bills), then it was off to Lowe's because we needed lightbulbs and a small rug to put under the dog's water bowl (Krypto is very, very messy when he drinks, and there's almost always a puddle on the floor by the bowl). From there, we were off to Sprint, so Jessi could change her plan, I could pay my cell phone bill, and I bought us both new headsets (I was originally only going to get one for her, but I needed a new one, too, and all accessories were buy one, get one half off).

From there, we headed to the west side of Olympia, first stop Toys R Us, because I'm still trying to get the last two of the current JLU figure sets I need. TRU was a flop there, but I consoled myself by buying two more Krypto the Superdog toys (the one with Krypto and Kevin, as well as the Streaky toy). So far, those are also remaining in the package.

Then it was off to Goodwill, where we both hoped to buy new (well, new to us) raincoats, but there was no luck there at all. Then to Target, where I still couldn't find the JLU figures I wanted, but we did get some other stuff (Jessi got a new jacket and rain pants, I got some different popcorn seasonings, two Beatles t-shirts, and a few other things that escape me right now). From there, we moved on to Circuit City, because Jessi wanted to get an MP3 player, and she had her heart set on an iPod.

The salesperson we talked to there... well, let's just say their approach to talking her out of an iPod wasn't the smoothest, and the way she kept changing her story on costs and so on made us think she didn't really need our business.

Let me give any of you who work retail sales a tip -- when someone comes in your store, and they say they're interested in item A, don't immediately tell them that, despite the fact that you sell 100 times more of item A than item B, and have 10 times more accessories for item A, that they'd be making a huge mistake not buying item B instead. This salesperson's biggest argument against iPods was that, out of the, oh, let's say 1,000 they've sold out of that store, three of them came back with defects (which would be .3%, not a bad number, considering).

So we went over to Best Buy instead. Jessi ended up going with a different MP3 player after all, but she got it at Best Buy because the salesperson she talked to there was more knowledgeable and more trustworthy. Still, we had to take a break and go to Subway for lunch before she made up her mind.

We got home, and she immediately tried to get her new MP3 player charged and install the software. Now, we still had to clean house (which we did), but she was anxious to play with her new "toy". Understandble, no? Well, by the time my brother and his wife came over for dinner, her player wasn't charged, and she was feeling frustrated because the software wasn't loading properly. Fortunately, my brother Jeff is a PC geek, and he was able to manually load the software, and we finally got it running properly... or so we thought.

The four of us had a great evening together, and Jessi and I went to bed early (for me) and late (for her). After Jeff and Kristi left, she was trying to upload the songs she got from her free Napster To Go trial to her player, but it wouldn't work.

Then, at 4 a.m. or so, she woke me up to announce that she was going to return the player she bought. "OK fine, we'll go back to the store," I said, or words to that effect.

So at 8 a.m., I woke up again (for the day, this time), and I learned she'd changed her mind again (don't ask me to explain why, I still can't figure it out myself), and she was going to keep it, assuming she could get the Napster songs on her player. I finally got her to agree that she needed to use Napster's software to do it, and when she launched it, she found out she needed to update the firmware for her machine... again (we'd just done it Saturday night).

But it's all working now.

Jon

2 comments:

  1. What a wild weekend. I am glad the MP3 player was sorted, I can completly understand her wanting to play with it.

    It used to infuriate me on Wednesday, get the latest comics, and the wife insist I wait until we get home, so I am not distracted (read not listening) while riding in the car. I have gotten used to it.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can understand what you mean! With my work hours (11 am to 8 pm), when I get the new comics (my local shop opens at 10), I get to read a few before going into work, then a few more at my lunch break, usually finishing up that night after Jessi goes to bed.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.