Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Beatles Love - a Mini-Review

So, one of the items I received for Christmas, but not as a formal gift, was the CD of The Beatles Love, which I finally listened to yesterday.



Now, while Fred Hembeck wasn't all that thrilled with this CD, I have to say that I really enjoyed listening to it! Not only was it fun to pick out which songs different musical elements came from, but it was also just plain fun to listen to.

It's really amazing to me how George and Giles Martin were able to take elements from the master tapes, and mix different songs together to create a unique re-imagining of these classic songs. Given that a fair number of the latter Beatles songs were created much the same way (well, taking stuff from different takes of songs and combining them together -- Strawberry Fields Forever being the most notable example), I think it's certainly fair for the Martins to do it again.

I think John Lennon would've been at the very least amused by the results. I also think it's a great tribute to just how great the music of the Beatles was, and the genius of George Martin, that these disparate songs could be recombined and remixed in such a way.

If you're a Beatles fan and haven't picked this one up yet, do yourself a favor and do so. I think you'll enjoy it!

Jon

1 comment:

  1. JACK bo PEARSON10:09 PM

    This LOve album is just another example of someone making a mix of songs for their girl or boy friends. Not revolutionary on CD not awe inspiring not even a good listen even the sound levels are uneven, that said I guess it will go over well with the crowds in the Cirque d Sol.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.