Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Oldies Station Played "Billy Jean"...

Yes, I was on my way home from work last night, with the local (well, Seattle) Oldies station (KBSG, if you're curious) on the radio, as is my wont... and they played "Billy Jean" (or is that "Billie Jean"?).

OK... I have to call shenanigans on that. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned grump or something, but I don't want my oldies station playing stuff from the 1980s. In my not-so-humble opinion, radio stations that have an oldies format should play stuff from the 1950s through the mid-1970s or so (basically using the Disco era as the point of division from post-Oldies, if you will). If they want to play anything with Michael Jackson singing, they should limit themselves to Jackson Five songs.

But his solo stuff? I say thee nay!

Perhaps the best rule of thumb I would ask of oldies stations is, if the song was made popular thanks to MTV showing videos, it's too new for an oldies station.

I know there are stations out there that play nothing but '80s songs... let them do their job! Every 1980s song they play is one less chance for me to hear an Elvis or Beatles or Beach Boys or (name of your favorite oldies era artist here) song!

Sheesh... maybe I just need to start burning my own CDs to listen to in the car, and forget commercial radio entirely. I mean, it's not like I get local info on the oldies station, and I do get tired of all the commercials (especially when I'm driving to work, and I hear the tail end of one song, then a bunch of commercials, and then barely the start of a new song and I'm at work already).

I used to joke that I needed to start my own radio station... KJON -- the Music JON Likes! Too bad that's way, way more money than I'll probably ever have to spend on anything, eh?

Anyway, I just had to rant about that for a few minutes.

Jon

1 comment:

  1. As a child of the 60's / 70's I agree with you! I loved it when we had station that had a 70's Saturday night... now it's moved on to the 80's.

    I do sometimes listen to a 70's web radio station but after listening a couple times, I knew their rotation...

    Arrgh!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.