Thursday, February 08, 2007

TV Comic of the Day: H.R. Pufnstuf

pufnstuf1

You know, I have nothing but fond memories of watching Pufnstuff when I was a kid... Jack Wild played the boy everyone watching wanted to be (even the magical talking flute could get one one's nerves after a while), the wonderful colors, the theme song (while not as memorable as, say, the 1960s Spiderman cartoons, I'll bet you can tell the age of someone by singing, "H.R. Pufnstuf, who's your friend when things get rough..." and see if they know the next line or not)... Witchiepoo, of course (and her song, "Oranges, Shmaranges" about there not being a rhyme for oranges).

Good stuff, and it's a shame that there weren't more episodes made of this wonderful show.

If you're around my age and reading this blog, you probably remember the early days of McDonald's commercials with McDonaldland... to say those commercials were "inspired" by Pufnstuff and the other Sid & Marty Kroft commercials is like saying that The Flintstones were "inspired" by the Honeymoooners... well, okay, the McDonaldland characters were very much extremely inspired by the Kroft stuff, which is why there was a lawsuit (and why Mayor McCheese disappeared from the commercials after a while).

Jon

2 comments:

  1. I heard that McDonald's approached the Krofts to do commercials for them, and when they didn't want to do it, McDonald's did Kroft-style commercials without them. I think I go look for old McDonaldland commercials on U-Tube.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little sister would go balistic when I called her "witcheepoo." LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.