Sunday, March 25, 2007

I'm Not Happy About This...

So, you may recall that last weekend, my parents bought Jessi and I a new, energy-efficient washer and dryer. The salesman at Home Depot promised us that we'd be getting a call Sunday evening that would let us know during what four-hour period of time they'd be delivering it on Monday (which is tomorrrow as I'm writing this).

Did they call us tonight? Hell, no... and the number we were given to call doesn't have anyone available to answer it on Sundays, naturally... and neither are they set up with their automated system for us to find out when they're going to try to deliver it.

So, I have to get up early Monday morning, and call the number to find out when they'll be delivering it.

I was already less than happy with the idea that they couldn't give us less than a four-hour block of time that they'd deliver it. Okay, I understand that not everything goes as planned, and a delivery and installation might take longer than normal. But you know, it's really stupid, IMHO, that in this age of cell phones, that I couldn't be given the option of leaving my cell phone number with them, and when they're actually ON THE WAY TO MY HOUSE, having them call me to tell me they'll be there in 20 minutes, or half an hour, or something like that.

Because I work only 20 minutes or less from home, and having already cleared things with work, I could get the call, tell my boss the appliances are being delivered, and leave for home and meet the delivery guy (or guys) there, and not miss out on work.

Like I said, I think it's really stupid. The cable company pulls the same crap when you call them for service, as well... they'll just say, for example, that they'll be there between noon and 4 p.m.

UPS is even worse... they'll just tell you they'll make a delivery between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.!

Is this stuff really all that difficult to schedule and manage? Is it asking too much for the delivery drivers to call the persons they're delivering to (or repair people to call the people they're servicing) when they have a better idea of when they're going to get there?

You know, I can call a pizza place tomorrow morning, when they open, and ask for a delivery of a large regular crust pizza, half pepperoni and half pineapple, to be delivered Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.... and they can do that for me. And they have to actually make the pizza first!

Okay, okay, pizza is different from a washer and dryer... for starters, it's a LOT cheaper, and doesn't require me to do anything in advance (like disconnect the old washer from the water, unplug that and the dryer, and move them out of the way).

I just find it incredibly arrogant that the more expensive stuff is, the longer you may have to wait for it to be delivered, and the less a chance that you have of getting a decent idea of when it will get there.

Jon

1 comment:

  1. One time at work, we ordered pizza for a work event a couple of days in advance, and on the day, they had forgotten about it. Someone from the pizza place later said that she found the order in drawer. You have to order pizza, or call to remind them, on the day you want to get it.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.