Friday, April 13, 2007

Comic Book Cover of the Day!

<no subject>

As I said with the first post in this new series, these covers were all pretty much chosen at random from my archive of covers. What I didn't mention is that there were themes to these covers, of which I chose a few, so there'll be some common themes.

OK, I'll admit it. I forgot there were some themes behind the choices. Today's and yesterday's covers come from the "exploitation" theme. And by exploitation, I mean any cover that is designed to either latch on to a current trend or hot topic... or else is exploitive in the sense that Russ Meyer movies are exploitive.

The latter applies here, from Lois Lane 70, an issue that I've sadly never owned. Featuring guest-appearances by Batman villains Catwoman and the Penguin, this cat-fight on the cover, drawn by Kurt Schaffenberger (who I've always felt drew very sexy women) was definitely designed to get the male reader interested in the story's contents!

And then there's the black cat in the Superman cape, which is supposed to be a transformed Superman. I say "supposed" because, having never read this story, I don't know if it is or isn't.

It is kind of disappointing that Selina Kyle's not dressed in her classic purple outfit with the skirt that had the big slit up the side, and the green cape. I guess this was her 1960s costume, being all-covering (but why not a miniskirt?).

One wonders just how a real fight between Lois Lane and Catwoman would've gone... I mean, yes, Catwoman's supposed to be a fair fighter... but Lois has been trained in Klukorr, a Kryptonian martial art!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Lois Lane #70 (and its continuation in #71) was very exciting. This was Catwoman's first appearance (aside from a few reprints) since Detective Comics #211 (Sept 1954). She'd been effectively banished by the Comics Code. I have to wonder if it had anything to do with an ad from the 1966 Batman film (starring Lee Meriwether as Catwoman) in issue #69? It would be another year before she appeared in a Batman title (Detective Comics #369).
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.