Monday, April 16, 2007

Genre Movie Still: King Kong!

kong01

Yes, I'm posting a genre movie still two days in a row, and I may well post one each day this week... and they'll probably be mostly Kongs!

This one, naturally, is the one, the only, the original!

You know, it's funny... when I was a kid, I'd go to the local library and check out every single book they had on horror and monster movies, and when I had a little extra money that wasn't already spent on comics, I'd buy the rare issue of Famous Monsters... and later, when I was in junior high school, I think the first issue of the RBCC I bought was their King Kong issue (this would've been just prior to the release of the Dino Di Laurentis Kong, naturally)... plus I'd watch every horror and SF movie that our local tv stations would show... but while I probably saw King Kong Vs. Godzilla at least a few times, Konga a couple of times... I didn't see the original King Kong until the summer before the DDL Kong...

...but it was definitely worth it, because I saw it in a movie theater! In Lakewood (a small town just south of Tacoma), there used to be the Lakewood Theater, which never showed new movies, but shows revivals of older movies (for a while, I think they made all their money on midnight showings of Rocky Horror Picture Show). So, before seeing the DDL Kong, I got to see the original on the big screen.

I was blown away by it... and the original King Kong became one of my top 10 movies of all time.

By the way, this same theater is where I got to see a double feature of Creature of the Black Lagoon and It Came From Outer Space... in 3D!

Jon

1 comment:

  1. I wish there were still theaters like that one around. I once won tickets from a radio station to see a showing of the original King Kong in a theater in Seattle. That was a good day.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.