Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Classic Collectibles of the Day!

games

Here's four really cool-looking board games... well, at least the box art looks cool (you never can tell about the game boards).

I'm guessing that the Superman, Popeye and Batman game boxes weren't drawn by people who worked on those features. The Superman game doesn't use the official logo, and I'm guessing the Superman figure was traced from a Curt Swan drawing, with the rest done by whoever did the tracing.

The art on the Popeye box is pretty close... but geez, who decided that Bluto/Brutus would fly off in the direction the art shows? I'd almost guess the figures were traced from existing art, but again, the tracer didn't think about the overall composition.

Nothing to point out about the "My Favorite Martian" game... but look at the Batman box... Robin's costume is colored almost entirely wrong... and doesn't it look like he's flying??? And who's Batman supposed to be swinging his fists at? The Joker's driving towards him from a completely different direction!

Jon

4 comments:

  1. Why don't they do this any more? Let's have a "House" board game, a "Sopranos" board game, "My Game is Earl," etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how a "House" board game would work, although if someone could figure one out, and keep it true to the show, it would be a hoot to play!

    Board games based on tv shows (except, perhaps for cartoons) seem to be a thing of the past... I know it's been a long time since I've seen one (except for DVD-based games or special editions of Trivial Pursuit).

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:42 PM

    Jon, do you know what year the batman board game was published? I have some cards from a batman game,but can't find which one they belong to.
    Wen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - Looks like that game came out in 1965... You might try checking out my Flickr games folder at http://flickr.com/photos/jonknutson/sets/72157603428880491/ and see if you recognize those cards from any of those photos!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.