Thursday, June 07, 2007

Comic Book Covers of the Day: DOUBLE POST!

<no subject>

You've just gotta love a Jimmy Olsen cover involving a Strange Change, don't you? Here's Wolfman Jimmy, and he ended up becoming a wolfman when he drank a potion (although he would just physically resemble a wolfman -- it's not like he tried to eat anyone, you know!), but there was just one cure... he had to be kissed by a beautiful girl. He tried to get Lucy Lane to do it, but failed... I think Lois even offered, but then had to back out for some reason. But Superman came through for his pal, providing a damsel to kiss and cure him, but her identity had to remain a secret!

The damsel in question? Supergirl, who was still being kept a secret from the world!

Honestly, though... isn't that a bit creepy? I mean, what was Kara thinking when Cousin Kal shows up and says, "Kara, I need you to do me a favor and kiss this friend of mine, but without him knowing who you are, of course... it's the only way to cure him of this curse!"

Then again, this is the same girl who set up her cousin with an alien superheroine on another world who looked just like she will when she's an adult...

Jimmy would never seem to learn his lesson about not drinking or fooling around with strange stuff, and his transformations were varied (he even became a wolf-man a second time, if I recall correctly).

Next up: Another DC Strange Change!

<no subject>

I wonder how many comics fans really are aware that Captain Comet was the cover feature on Strange Adventures for quite some time? I'm sure most DC fans, anyway, are familiar with the man born 1,000 years before his time, evolutionarily speaking... but most probably don't know where he made his first appearances.

Count me among those who were ignorant for the longest time... then again, for the first several years of my serious collecting of comics, the only Strange Adventures issues I had were those featuring reprints of Adam Strange stories (heck, it was years after that before I realized these first appeared in Mystery in Space!).

Anyway... the cover in question here features that hoary cliche of the machine that could exchange personalities in bodies! This became so overused (especially in television... Gilligan's Island used it in an episode, and I think there was a Flintstones ep, too, that used it) that one would be hard-pressed to find a comics writer today who would dare consider such a device!

What makes this cover really stand out in my mind, though, is the fact that there's a gorilla on it, making it one of the many DC gorilla covers of the Silver Age!

Jon

1 comment:

  1. Gorilla on the cover=increased sales.

    They used the body transfer schtick on the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV show, and if it's good enough for Joss Whedon, I'll bet it's not too used up for the comics.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.