Saturday, August 25, 2007

Here's Something I Don't Understand...

One of the comics news sites that I regularly check (usually daily) is Silver Bullet Comics (which is on the linklist, I believe). If you go there, look at the title that appears on the top of your browser... "Silver Bullet Comics - The Internet's Most Diverse Comics Webzine, Featuring All The Rage..." and so forth.

Then look to see when the last All The Rage column was. As I'm writing this, it's just four days short of a month.

It's been kind of an iffy column since the latest guy took it over... iffy in the sense that you never knew when the next column was going to appear, for starters; and even the last few mini-columns, which were done during San Diego Comicon, weren't really dealing with rumors and so forth that is usually the purview of All The Rage.

I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising, given that there have been more mini-interviews and the like appearing in it (some interviews feel like they're the bulk of previous columns). And I suppose part of this is the latest ATR columnist is trying to make the column his own.

But really, is that what the readers want? To be accustomed to a column that's been one thing, but now is something else? SBC could've just cancelled ATR, and let the new guy start a brand-new column, called whatever he wants to call it, and then there wouldn't be the comments on various sites (I think I've seen mention of this at blog@newsarama, for example) about how long it's been since the last column.

It's kind of symptomatic of what's been happening at SBC lately anyway, to be honest. There have been several days in a row where I'd bring up the page on my browser, and there wouldn't be anything new posted there.

I don't know how many of you check out SBC on a regular basis, but if you do, I'd love to read your own comments concerning the new irregular ATR, or anything else about SBC. And while you're at it, if there are any good comics news pages that you think I'd be interested in checking out, let me know about those, too!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Glen Davis11:18 AM

    Yeah, Silver Bullet has been falling down on the job a bit. Not just All The Rage, which long ago became a commercial for whoever's writing it, with some rumor snippets in there somewhere, but most sections are becoming spottier and spottier in frequency. Only
    Beau Smith is timely. I do have to say Jim Beard's interviews are consistently good reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make it kind of awkward for them to call themselves the most diverse comics webzine when most (but not all) of the items they're featuring are reviews.

    I agree, Beau Smith is definitely timely, but as a comics writer, he's accustomed to deadlines.

    Man, and when I think about how much I work to make sure that my "Cover Stories" columns are sent off well ahead of when they're needed... I could probably take a month off of those without mentioning anything ahead of time, and I bet I'd get maybe two emails about it, tops... sheesh!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.