Friday, September 28, 2007

Cover Gallery: DC Special Series 1-10!

dcspecial01

Great first issue to lead off this series... obviously, Carmine had his choice of characters to include on the cover; why else would he have fit his favorite Detective Chimp on there?

dcspecial02

I swear, I've seen the house ad for this book more than any other DC house ad, ever!

dcspecial03

It's so funny how DC was trying to play lip service to the Women's Lib movement... and yet, it's "Girls" the super-ladies are referred to as!

dcspecial04

Great cover on #4, isn't it?

dcspecial05

Issue 5 is another of those great artist-themed issues! I love those!

dcspecial06

One of these days, I've got to get a copy of this issue and read this story!

dcspecial07

Issue #7 reprinted Strange Sports Stories from the Brave and the Bold issues (and possibly from some of the DC sci-fi books)! Good stuff!

dcspecial08

Yes, sometimes DC Special was the Showcase of reprint titles, as the subsequent "Wanted" series spun off from this will attest!

dcspecial09

Issue #9 has more Strange Sports Stories, as you can see!

dcspecial10

I know I used to have a copy of issue 10 here... but I don't recall it being anything special, to be honest.

Jon

3 comments:

  1. I remember having issue #1 and bitterly regretting that I lost it after reading it only a couple of times. I still feel that way decades later!

    And I also remember getting the last issue, #15, featuring Plastic Man...and being annoyed that it turned out to be a "silly" comedic strip instead of the more "serious" fare I preferred at the time. But in that case I eventually learned better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen Davis9:51 AM

    I may be the only one, but I love those Strange Sports stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenn, you're definitely not the only one! I'd love to see DC do a TPB collecting all the SSS comics!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.