Tuesday, September 18, 2007

DC Comics Ads of Interest!

From October, 1980:

dc_10_80_1

Richie's dad has to be kidding, right? The Rich millions and billions came from selling Grit? I don't think anyone made millions off of Grit, even the publishers!

And note, too, the phrase "lots of famous people got their start selling Grit," yet not a single one of them is mentioned in the ad.

You know, I'm in my mid-40s, and there's only one time I've ever seen someone selling Grit. It was in 1981, and I bought a copy from the kid selling them. After looking through it, I can see why they needed this kind of advertising to recruit their salespeople.

From October, 1977:

dc_10_77_2

Here's another one of those NCG Merchandise ads that I enjoy presenting so much, with art done by the Kubert School.

I'm guessing that "Tru Dimension" kits either had layers of foam board that were marked as to where to paint and where to glue them together... or each layer of depth was separated by a smaller foam board piece (I seem to recall reading in a Fantastic Four lettercol, back when Byrne was doing the book, that someone did something similar using comic book covers).

The Batman Utility Belt is pretty much the only "Utility Belt" toy that makes sense at all. Want to see what this looked like in real life?

Here's a tease:

batman2

I'll be sharing a larger version of that photo in the near future. Or you can look for it on eBay. Someone was selling that one there, MIB. Original price? $4.95. Buy it now price, no bidding allowed? $500. As I'm writing this, they have 12 hours left on a listing for the Superman one, for $300.

Neither price, in my mind, seems to be appropriate. I mean... I could see auctioning with a starting bid of, maybe, $50. But $500? That's ridiculous.

The play watches appear to be just that... play watches.

dc_10_77_1

Not much to say about this ad... I just liked it and wanted to scan and share it!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Perhaps you came upon an issue of Grit too late to appareciate it? I recall two things in particular:
    1. As their ad mentioned, it was the only national newspaper. This was long before USA Today, which started in 1982.
    2. They were the first newpaper I saw that included color photographs. (I guess that's something else USA Today learned from them).

    The family who owned Grit until 1981, the Lamades, were big supporters of Little League baseball and the stadium where they hold their World Series is still named after the family.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right about my reaction to Grit. Thanks for the info!

      Delete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.