Saturday, October 13, 2007

Halloween Countdown: October 14!

8mm_itcamefrom

Yes, it's more 8mm movie madness... and this is another of those pix that's really of a magnet of the 8mm box art!

8mm_monsterchall

Every time I see a poster or lobby card or still from "The Monster That Challenged the World," I find myself thinking that I had to have seen this movie sometime... but then I realize it's just because I've seen images from it so often!

8mm_mummy

Lots of mummy movies in my 8mm box art photo collection... here's the one that started it all!

8mm_mummyghost

And this is one of the sequels... and that reminds me that since the pic I have is of the magnet, with "sample" on it, the next time a copy comes up for sale I should copy the photo to my computer!

8mm_mummystomb

Not being a huge Mummy movie fan, I have no idea what order these should really be in...

8mm_plan9

I think I do have a pic of the Plan 9 From Outer Space box art without "sample" on it.

8mm_psycho

What would a Halloween Countdown which includes 8mm box art from horror movies without including Psycho, one of the most frightening movies of all time?

8mm_returnvamp

I'm pretty sure that "Return of the Vampire" is one of those movies Lugosi made after he wasn't able to get work at the major studios anymore... basically playing Dracula, but not playing Dracula.

8mm_sonkong

This box art almost looks like it belongs to Mighty Joe Young more than Son of Kong!

8mm_spider

I think this is just a compelling image... I'm not sure exactly why.

8mm_thing

And this is a very non-compelling piece of box art...

8mm_trailoffrankenstein

It's hard to tell from this photo, but "Trial of Frankenstein" is an extended clip from "Ghost of Frankenstein."

8mm_warofcolossal

You know, if the Acts of Geekery weren't so random, I would've posted the box art for "The Amazing Colossal Man" before "War of the Colossal Beast"!

8mm_werewolf

I'm not at all sure I recognize this one!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Re: "one of those movies Lugosi made after he wasn't able to get work at the major studios anymore"

    "Return of the Vampire" was made for Columbia. Lugosi probably considered them a step up from Poverty Row oufits like PRC and Monogram. Personally, I prefer it to both the 1931 Dracula (which looks like a filmed stage play) and 1936's Dracula's Daughter (too dry).

    Re: the box art for the 8mm excerpt from The Thing from Another World

    It looks like the crowd's fleeing from a meteor, doesn't it?

    Re: The Werewolf

    There was a 1956 film with that title that Sam Katzman made for Columbia.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info!

      Delete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.