Tuesday, February 12, 2008

By the 10's: Action Comics 410-500!

This will be the last installment of Action Comics... by the 10's! Next week, I'll start up a new title!

Why end this by the 10's with 500? Well, it's a nice round number, and it ends this run with a nice Bronze Age issue!

action_410

Here's issue #410, and like issue 400, it's a "Son of Superman" cover! This time around, it's an imaginary story! In this tale, Superman marries a witch who dies in childbirth, and in the future era it takes place in, it seems that his son not only has inherited his mother's powers, but he's also causing catastrophe! But things aren't always as they seem!

Great Nick Cardy cover, eh?

action_420

Issue 420's cover is pretty bizarre... it's Nick Cardy again, and I only vaguely remember the story. But it was either the sequel to a previous one, or a sequel would be forthcoming!

action_430

I know I've read issue 430, possibly recently, and for some reason, I'm thinking this has some connection to issue 420's story! But I could well be mistaken.

Yes, it's Nick Cardy again. He did a LOT of covers for DC during this time!

action_440

A great moody cover on Action 440, again by Cardy. I'm pretty sure this was all a scam committed on Superman (which I guess serves him right for all the times he pulled scams on others in the 1960s).

action_450

Cardy again... and I'm pretty sure I never read this issue before! Around this time, there were some really, really strange Superman covers...

action_460

The villain on Action 460's cover looks familiar, but I can't place him right now. I'm thinking Ernie Chan/Chua did this one.

action_470

Action 470's cover is for an issue I've never, ever read... and it's by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, one of the best artists to come out of the 70s at DC!

action_480

Nice concept for the cover of Action 480... could've been really good, but the execution is somewhat lacking, in my opinion. Maybe it was the inking, but I would expect more.

action_490

Much nicer-looking cover for Action 490! Notice the price has gone up to 40 cents. At the time, we all thought it was a ridiculous price hike, but these days? Cheap!

action_500

And finally, Action 500! If you want to get a good primer on the origin of Superman and be introduced to his supporting cast and villains (pre-Crisis, of course), this would be the issue to get!

Next time, on "By the 10's"... well, I haven't decided yet!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. The sequel to issue #420 is in fact Elliott S! Maggin's novel Last Son Of Krypton which features a return appearance by Towbee the Space Minstrel, that goofy looking guy on the cover, as a lead character. I remember being very surprised when I first read the novel at how Maggin has Superman recall their previous meeting...which is not described in the book, nor identified by so much as a footnote. Maggin took it for granted that his audience would either have read that issue, or would get enough info from the novel itself as to make any further description superfluous. Well, it worked for me anyway.

    Something I want to add that seems important right now: about a week ago, I sent Maggin an e-mail letting him know how big a formative influence his stories were on me, and I'm happy to say I got a very kind response from him that made me feel good. I'm glad I did that. One great thing about the internet is that it's now easier than ever to send a favorite writer or artist a fan letter, and I've written a number of them to people I never dreamed I'd have a chance to contact directly. Don't miss the opportunity to do that! If there's somebody whose work you admired years or decades ago, take some time to let him or her know. You might just make that creator's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info! I just got another copy of that Superman novel a few weeks ago, and haven't re-read it yet.

    And yes, I agree with you 100% on contacting creators and letting them know what their work meant to you. There have been a LOT of creators I never got a chance to get in touch with before they passed away, and I regret never being able to tell them what their work meant to me!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.