Friday, February 08, 2008

Movie of the Week: The Marx Brothers in "At the Circus!"

I think I've only seen "At the Circus" one time... and to be honest, I don't recall all that much about it, so I'll have to let the posters, stills and videos speak for themselves!

atthecircus_lc.JPG

Trailer:


atthecircus_forposter.JPG
I'm afraid I didn't note which country this poster was done for!

Most fondly remembered from this movie was "Lydia the Tatooed Lady," which Groucho later performed on the Dick Cavett Show:


atthecircus_lc1.jpg

I seem to recall Groucho played a lawyer in this movie... I may have to revisit this movie after I get a chance to see it again!

atthecircus_lc3.jpg

atthecircus_lc4.jpg

By the way, the Kenny Baker listed above is definitely not the same Kenny Baker who inhabited the R2-D2 shell for most of the Star Wars movies! And yes, that is Eve Arden, Our Miss Brooks, listed there... and looking pretty good in the film, if I'm not mistaken! There's a memorable scene in which she does her acrobatic number with Groucho... well, if you've seen it, you remember it, I'm sure!

atthecircus_lc5.jpg

In this promo for (I believe) the video release, you see the first of the two simian suits used in the movie (something I know I've written about in this blog before).



Some selected stills (well, I selected them from eBay auctions), beginning with one depicting that scene I just mentioned a few paragraphs ago with Eve Arden!

atthecircus_still1.jpg

atthecircus_still2.JPG

atthecircus_still3.JPG

atthecircus_still4.JPG

(Yes, the guy in the curly blond hair is the circus' strongman)

atthecircus_still5.JPG

atthecircus_still6.JPG

atthecircus_still8.JPG

And now, a bit of Harpo:



atthecircus_still7.JPG

While "At the Circus" isn't one of the best Marx Brothers movies, it's still pretty fun to watch... and even a "bad" Marx Brothers movie is still way, way better than any Pauly Shore movie, if you ask me!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. Jon,
    Re: "I'm afraid I didn't note which country this poster was done for!"

    It's from Sweden.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.