Thursday, April 10, 2008

Found on eBay: More DC Character Merchandise!

Time for some more photos I grabbed off of interesting auctions on eBay! We're still looking at DC character stuff...

dcsh_drawingdesk

...beginning with this drawing desk. Yeah, it's basically a light table so you can trace the artwork provided. But I suppose it's better than what we used to do as kids in my old neighborhood... we'd take an actual comic with a drawing we wanted to copy, place a piece of white bond paper behind the page with a piece of carbon paper, and then trace it with a ballpoint pen, ruining the book for the most part (or at least, making it no better than "Good" condition).

But hey, so far as I know, none of us ever cut out the Marvel Value Stamps!

dcsh_gl_sfms

According to the seller who was offering it, this was a Green Lantern model sheet from Hanna-Barbera's Super Friends cartoon... probably Challenge of the Super Friends!

dcsh_instantstaineglass

"Instant stained glass," eh? Well, looks to me like stickers that are printed on plastic! Would be nice to have one of these to put on the back window of my car, though!

dcsh_pens

One of the bad things about finding auctions for super-heroes pens on eBay (aside from them quickly being bid outside my budget) is that sellers don't seem to be able to get very good photos of them... at least, not from my viewpoint!

dcsh_sf_flashsharp

You don't see too many Flash items out there... especially ones from the 60s or 70s! So this Flash Super Friends pencil sharpener is a nice surprise! Is it just me, or does that art look like George Tuska's work, perhaps inked by Vince Colleta?

dcsh_sf_shazamsharp

Here's a Shazam sharpener from the same series! I'm guessing that it's one of those standard plastic-and-razor-blade sharpeners that's inserted in basically a soft vinyl pocket that could be emptied, since these don't look like they're hard plastic!

dcsh_sf_wrappingpaper.jpg

On the one hand, Super Friends wrapping paper is a very cool idea... but what's up with the balloons and trucks presents and stuff there? It's almost like they had the design pasted up for the balloon wrap when the word came down, "You've got to get some Super Friends wrapping paper pasted up in half an hour... here's some clip art to use," and they just added it to what they were working on.

Now let's take a look at some neat custom-made Super Powers figures!

dcsh_sp_custombeetle.JPG

This Blue Beetle figure is very cool!

dcsh_sp_custombooster.JPG

And the fact that there was a custom Booster Gold figure makes me believe the creator of these figures was a huge Justice League International fan!

dcsh_sp_customdeathstroke.JPG

Nice work on the Deathstroke figure here... but it doesn't really fit (in my mind) with the characters in the Super Powers line, you know?

dcsh_sp_customwildcat.JPG

This custom-made Wildcat is beautiful in its simplicity, eh?

dcsh_spsign.jpg

This display for the Super Powers line has some very nice art on it, too, doesn't it?

dcsh_superbabies

The seller of these called them "Super Babies," but I'm sure you know as well as I do that they're Super Juniors! These appear to be party decorations of some kind. I knew they had designs for Super Juniors versions of Superman, Batman, Robin and Wonder Woman... but the Super Juniors Hawkman and Green Arrow blow my mind.

dcsh_thingmaker

I may have shown this Superman Thingmaker mold (the seller thought the one next to it was a Batman mold, but I think it's just bats) in a different photo... if so, here it is again!

dcsh_trashcan

Whoever pasted this up really blew the perspective completely... but it's still an awesome trash can, isn't it?

dcsh_wondert_modelcel

Wonder Twin Powers... Activate!

dcsh_ww_jointed

Wow, the pose this jointed Wonder Woman is in while it's in the package is pretty disturbing, isn't it? I wonder how many guys bought this and kept it in the package just because of the rather sexual position Diana was packaged in? Or am I just getting weird tonight (well, weirder than usual).

dcsh_ww_misc

The other item in this photo... not the bracelet (which obviously dates from the 1980s or later) appears to be a hand mirror... kind of odd to make it so Wonder Woman's facing away from you when you use it, hmmmm?

dcsh_ww_sfcel

Super Friends cel.... or turnaround model sheet? The seller says it's the former, but I'm thinking it's the latter.

dcsh_ww_yoyo

Wonder Woman Yo-Yo! I'll bet they didn't have enough imagination to package it with golden string, though...

dcsh_wwjapanmodel

Remember that Aquaman Japanese model I showed you a bunch of days ago? Here's an assembled Wonder Woman one!

And that wraps up the DC character merchandise for this volume of "Found on eBay!" I'm off to bed!

Jon

8 comments:

  1. I bought my wife that Wonder Woman mirror from Lilypad toys in Tacoma...It was $5, and is easily her favorite WW item. It is a beautiful wall-art sculpture, though I wish it were three feet tall! I'm sure little girls felt like Diana using it in 1979.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilypad Toys? I guess since moving to Olympia, I've lost track of what all there is around Tacoma... Where are they located?

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily Pad Antiques
    756 Broadway
    Tacoma, WA 98402
    (253) 627-6858

    Retro & antique toys right next to a Tulley's, right across from what used to be a XXX movie theater...I love Tacoma!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Super Powers display a part of your collection? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe - Sadly, that's not the case. As mentioned at the beginning of the post, these photos were all saved from eBay auctions for posterity's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, oops. That's what I get for not reading the whole post and just looking at the pretty pictures. I'm glad they led me to your blog, though. I've got a lot to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is indeed a genuine licensed Batman Thingmaker mold. I had both of those when I was a kid. If you look close, you'll see the large bat is actually the Batman logo from the comic books. The little circles at the top and bottom are for the intended use as a pencil decoration. In the upper left hand corner is an oval-shaped mold impression that is the Batman chest emblem (similar to the Superman chest emblem on that mold).

    Mattel also made a Green Hornet Thingmaker mold. This had 2 different sizes of a hornet intended to be used as a pencil decoration, and a round Hornet symbol.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.