Monday, April 21, 2008

This 'n That Time!

How long has it been since I've done a This 'n That? Probably too long...

ITEM! Probably after most of you have read this, my current crop of new auctions will be ending... about three hours after I've written this, to be precise. There's also a group that's been relisted that is closing in about three days, and I'm sure tonight I'll be relisting what doesn't sell tonight (or else I'll wait until the last relists close, I haven't decided which way I'm going yet). I've got another 40+ or so comics auctions ready to post right away, and I'll probably work tonight or tomorrow on some Give-A-Show auctions (duplicate items) as well as a few things Jessi wants me to sell for her. Of course, any time you want to see what I might be selling, just click the link on the linklist!

ITEM! These past few days, fatherhood's becoming a bit more stressful than usual... I'm not sure why, but especially yesterday and today, Tristan has been pushing way too many of my "daddy buttons" -- not listening, not staying near Jessi and I when we're out in public, talking to people in public we don't know. This morning, when I was ready to take him to his Monday sitter (he goes to work with Jessi Tuesdays through Fridays), he decided to throw a fit and drop to the floor when it was time to go. And for the first time ever, I gave him a swat on his butt. I hated doing that, and I never want to make a habit of it, but in this instance, it was about the only option I had -- there wasn't time to send him to his room or put him in a time-out. When I talked to Jessi about it later, she agreed it was about all I could do. I still hate that it happened, though.

ITEM! On a more positive fatherhood note, on Sunday, we got Tristan a set of bunkbeds, so now he's sleeping in a "big boy bed" (he'd been sleeping in a toddler bed, but Jessi'd decided he was starting to get too big for it). This gave us the opportunity to use all the Superman bedding our good friends Paul and Brigit gave Tristan for his adoption present (sadly, Paul and Brigit no longer live in our state... they moved away before we even got Tristan, so they've never met him).

ITEM! Consider this way in advance warning... Jessi, Tristan and I will be taking a week-long trip to Pennsylvania in August to visit her parents as well as my youngest brother, Karl, who lives a few hours' drive from Jessi's parents. We're planning on hitting as many of the tourist stuff (like Hershey Park) as we can. We haven't figured out who will be taking care of Krypto and KO while we're gone, though... it'll be the first time we've gone away and haven't taken them with us!

ITEM! My new best friend in the world, Dave Wagner (who's got at least one page on the linklist, "Children's Records and More") has offered to convert the 45 rpm records from the Kenner Adventure Time Give-A-Show set to MP3 files, so that when I get around to posting those slides, it'll be a complete experience for you! He received the records today, and he has my gratitute for taking this on. Now, if I can only figure out how to either embed the MP3 file into the blog entries or convert the files to QuickTime, I'll be all set (if any of you know how to do this, please let me know!).

ITEM! Thanks to Mark Evanier's providing a link to this blog, my hits more than tripled this past week! Thanks again, Mark! And thank you, new readers of the Random Acts of Geekery... I hope you'll stick around!

ITEM! Have I mentioned how disappointed I am that Kids WB's "Legion of Super-Heroes" cartoon is cancelled? It had two great years, and I felt it had at least another three years (at least) of life in it, but with the changeover in the kids programming on the CW, it's gone. I haven't heard that Cartoon Network or anyone else is looking to take it on in order to produce more episodes. I haven't enjoyed the Legion this much since... well, maybe back when Keith Giffen was drawing the book, but before his style went much rougher!

ITEM! On the other hand, the new Spectacular Spider-Man show apparently will continue to be shown... and that's a good thing, because I'm enjoying the hell out of it! It's not quite Lee/Ditko, it's not quite the movies, it's not quite Ultimate Spidey... it's unique in and of itself, and I feel it's really taken to heart the lesson that Batman: The Animated Series taught, that you can distill all the stuff that's good from a character's publishing history and put out a show that's a joy to watch, is true to the characters, and will make even the most jaded fanboy smile.

ITEM! Have you heard about this Black Panther cartoon series that's supposed to be on BET starting this fall? I just may have to check that out, if nothing else, to see what it's like.

ITEM! Definitely on my "must-see" list is the new "Brave and the Bold" series, which I understand is aimed more towards kids than aging fanboys, but you know what? I can take a Dark Knight that isn't too grim and gritty... hell, I enjoy the Adam West Batman show for what it is, and it sounds like B&B will feature quite a few different characters during its run! Now, if only we could get "Justice League Unlimited" back on the air... or maybe get some characters on TV who haven't been animated yet!

And that's all the this and that for now! Time to give Tristan his bath!

Jon

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to watching the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon series. I'm also excited about Black Panther getting his own series but I hope it lasts longer than Blade's series did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know there was a Blade animated series (then again, I've yet to see the movies).

    It'll be interesting to see what tends to be the basic tone of the series... will it be like the Panther's early FF appearances, or take more of a tone of his Avengers spots? Or perhaps the Kirby solo series or the others that followed, including McGregor's?

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blade was a live action series on Spike. The series is out now on DVD. Kirk "Sticky" Jones was Blade, who could have been better, but I did enjoy Jill Wagner as Krista Starr, who eventually turned into a vampire. The series was very adult in nature and I felt it was more Krista's show towards the end.

    I'm hoping for the early Black Panther.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now that rings a bell... I seem to recall seeing a commercial for it when my wife was catching all the Star Trek Next Gen reruns on Spike!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.