Friday, May 09, 2008

Bought on eBay: Give-A-Show Projector Sets!

OK, I figure this is a good post for Give-A-Show Fridays, even if I've posted these pics before with the last checklist update! Here's a gallery of Give-A-Show Projectors I've bought on eBay that were in the box!

giveeashow_fatalbert.jpg

I'm really looking forward to getting into these 1970s sets, which will be full of shows based on cartoons that lasted one or two seasons!

giveashow_popeyesuperman.jpg

As you can see, this box (the oldest one I have, I believe) is pretty beat up! One of these days, I will have to start upgrading my collection, y'know?

This is actually a set I'm either currently scanning, or just finished scanning.

giveashow_hannabarbera.jpg

Hmmm... now that I think of it, I think this all-Hanna-Barbera set is actually the oldest one I have.

giveashow_valleyofdinos.jpg

Check this one out... not only does the box feature one of my favorite short-lived Hanna-Barbera series of all time, "Valley of the Dinosaurs," but as you can see, there was also a Star Trek show in here! Don't get your hopes up too high when we get to that one, though...

giveashow_landoflost.jpg

I wonder if "Lady, That's My Skull"'s Sleestak has this toy in his collection, Land of the Lost fan that he is? Amazing how often the package design changed on the Give-A-Show Projectors, isn't it? If I ever get around to designing 'fantasy boxes' for sets that I wish had been produced, I'll have to create templates for every different format they used.

giveashow_adventuretime.jpg

Yeah, I'm jumping back and forth here... this is the "Adventure Time" set that I blogged about recently, that Dave of the "Children's Records and More" blog helped me out with by converting the 45s to MP3s! This may well be the next set of slides that I share, once the current set is done!

giveashow_sixmilliondollr.jpg

I won't get to the Six Million Dollar Man set for quite a while... every single one of the slides is a Steve Austin story, but instead of taking advantage of having 16 sets of 7 slides to tell some decent stories, every set has one single story! It would've been so much cooler if they'd done, say, four stories, each comprised of 28 slides.

giveashow_scooby.jpg

Scooby-Dooby-Doo! I think there were actually two different sets that featured Scooby on them. This set also includes slides of Josie and the Pussy Cats in Outer Space, The Houndcats, and The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan!

I don't recall that the Scooby story features Daphne in a bathing suit, though.

giveashow_superheroes.jpg

This set may well be the most awesome one that Kenner ever produced... Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Thor, King Kong and Aquaman slides are included in this set! If I ever start working on those "fantasy boxes" I keep saying I'm going to do, I think the first ones will be super-heroes sets... one Marvel set, and one DC set.

Next up: Board Games!

5 comments:

  1. I remember my neighbour's had the Scooby one but the only reel they had was Charlie Chan, a cartoon I have (to this day) never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not missing much... it was one of those one-season wonders from Hanna-Barbera, where they had Charlie Chan saddled with a ridiculous number of children, and they'd solve mysteries between performing as a rock-and-roll band.

    I haven't actually looked at the Chan Clan Give-A-Show slide yet, but I'd have thought the large cast would make a seven-slide story logistically impossible to create!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally got to see one of their cartoons on Boomerang a few months ago. As Jon said - it sucked. The music was the best thing about it. I have a share of their LP at my Children's Blog that was provided long ago by MondoDaddykin.
    Daves

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one of the earlier versions of this. It had Augie Doggie, Wally Gator, and (I think) The Flintstones. That projector made a great flashlight in a pinch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kolaboy, you should check out my Give-A-Show Blog at http://giveashow.blogspot.com for all my videos of Give-A-Show Projector slides and related items!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.