Friday, June 06, 2008

Not That It's Geekery In Any Way...

...but I do occasionally make a post that's about what's going on in my life outside of this blog (yes, I do have a life outside of this blog!).

So, yesterday afternoon, I left work early because it was time for the monthly Family Night at the Head Start that my wife works at and my son Tristan attends. Since this Head Start is about a 45 minute drive from my work, I left work 45 minutes early.

First on the agenda was to get some gas in the car (ye gods, at Safeway, it was $4.15 for regular... after my 3 cent a gallon discount for using my club card), and then I was going to pick up our foster daughter at her daycare and head on south.

Well... as I was heading to the daycare after paying $30 for 7 gallons or so of gas, I stopped for traffic.

The guy in the white BMW who was a pretty far distance behind me didn't. At least, not until he hit my car.

Bizarrely, he got the worst of it. The only damage to my Subaru was that the bumper is bent out at the sides and has a sizeble crack in it, plus the exhaust pipe may be damaged. Well, that's all the damage I'm aware of. The car's at a collision repair place now to get an estimate done.

The BMW? Well, since his front bumper went below my back bumper, the front end of his car got pretty smashed in.

The worst of it is -- he didn't have insurance. And when the police arrived to get the accident report written up, he did get ticketed for that, you betcha. His excuse for why he hit me was that the two kids in his car were distracting him. The two kids seemed to be 9 and 12, from what I could see.

Really? A 9 and 12 year old in the car are too distracting to notice the line of cars stopped for the light that was at least a dozen or so cars long? He had plenty of time to see me, too... when I'd stopped and I saw him in the rear view mirror, he must've been at least a block or two behind me.

So far, I don't believe I was injured by the accident. My lower back does kind of ache on and off... but it tends to do that when I'm stressed out (because of, for example, HAVING MY CAR REAR-ENDED), and I noticed this morning my right shoulder is aching. So I may need to get checked out sometime.

Now, I'll admit that I'm kind of hoping that there's enough other damage done to my car that the insurance company will consider it totalled, because Jessi and I had been talking about selling it anyway and getting a used minivan to accommodate our growing family... and even if it's not totalled, we may end up not getting it fixed anyway, selling the car as junk, and using the insurance money combined with our savings to buy said used minivan. We'll just have to wait and see.

This won't affect postings on this blog -- I've actually been working furiously at getting way ahead on it, making posts for scheduled release! -- so no worries there!

Jon

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that no one was seriously hurt in the accident.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.