Saturday, August 02, 2008

By the 10's: Leave it to Binky!

Wow, it's been a while since I did any "By the 10's," hasn't it? So let's have lots of 'em in August, and let's see how many series I can cover!

This time around, it's Leave it to Binky, one of the many teenage comics put on the market in an attempt to get some of the Archie market!

binky010.jpg

Here's issue #10... nice Dagwood hair, Binky!

binky020.jpg

Notice just between issue 10 and issue 20, the art style's actually gotten a little more realistic... rather unusual, if you ask me!

binky030.jpg

Issue 30, and the cover gags aren't getting any better, are they?

binky040.jpg

OK, issue 40's cover gag is pretty good!

binky050.jpg

So is issue 50's cover gag... although what would've made it even funnier would've been if it had been Sugar and Spike there!

binky060.jpg

Issue 60's cover, and there's something seriously wrong with Binky if he doesn't know the difference between kissing a fish and kissing a girl!

binky070.jpg

As with all the other teenage humor comics, it seems, sooner or later the style went more towards copying the Archie style completely, as we see with Binky 60! You'll also note the fashions have radically changed, too!

binky080.jpg

Even after a quick Google search, I still have no idea who Frank Demme is, other than a musician.

Binky didn't last much longer... then again, the spin-off book "Binky's Buddies" only lasted 12 issues all together! The original Binky series lasted 81 issues, from 1948 to 1971... and then in 1977 issues 82 and 83 were published!

Jon

5 comments:

  1. no doubt about that major change to Archie style.. of course, the cover artist being Henry Scarpelli might have a small link to this ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what year this comic was released, but if it's from the early 80's, it could be referring to the lead singer of the short lived rock band Small Talk (and then later Rock Rose). How odd! I posted recently an equally weird reference to Henry Gross (he sang "Shannon")in a Spiderman comic.

    And yes, I am chock full of useless info like this (see my blog as painful evidence). Anyway, enjoyed loitering around your blog, and I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. erm.. at the end of the post it says the series ran from 1948 to 1971 (there was a small gap within that) with a couple of issues in 82 and 83.

    I can't really fine much information on him either..

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, those early covers were gorgeous good girl art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manic Man -- I'm pretty sure Marvel changed Millie the Model to a similar style at the same time!

    Gilligan -- Welcome to the blog! I'll try to get a chance to check out your blog once I get caught up on comments!

    Rob! -- Yes, gorgeous stuff, isn't it? Wait until I get to the early Archie titles!

    Jon

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.