Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Children's Book Theatre: Godzilla on Monster Island!

Time to introduce a new semi-recurring segment on the Random Acts of Geekery! As you guys probably know, I'm a dad, and my son, Tristan, likes the super-heroes, too, so my wife and I are always keeping our eyes open for kids books that we'll enjoy reading to him! And sometimes, these long out-of-print books feature characters I think you guys might enjoy seeing, so here's the first one... Godzilla on Monster Island!

Click on any of these pages for larger view options. Any spreads, I'll provide a summary of the text so you can follow along!

godzilla01

godzilla02

godzilla03godzilla04
Welcome to Monster Island, home of the monsters!

godzilla05godzilla06
The island's too small for things to stay peaceful all the time, but Godzilla keeps them in line!

godzilla07godzilla08
After a storm washes a giant egg on the island, Anguirus and Varan discover it, and Anguirus goes to ask Godzilla what to do.

godzilla09godzilla10
Anguirus wakes Godzilla up from his nap to tell him what's going on.

godzilla11godzilla12
Godzilla forces Kamacuras and Kumonga away from the egg.

godzilla13godzilla14
While a helicopter takes photos, Gigan attacks Godzilla, but Godzilla wins!

godzilla15godzilla16
After a while, Godzilla takes a break from guarding the egg to go for a swim, leaving Anguirus in charge, but while Godzilla's away, the egg starts to hatch!

godzilla17godzilla18
A group of scientists study the photos the helicopter took, and decide to send Mechagodzilla to collect the egg, which they believe is a giant coccoon.

godzilla19godzilla20
Mechagodzilla arrives at the egg before Godzilla does, and blasts Anguirus, but Rodan arrives to help, but the two of them can't defeat Mechagodzilla!

godzilla21godzilla22
Rodan flies off to fetch Godzilla, who chases Mechagodzilla off!

godzilla23godzilla24
Unsurprisingly, it turns out the coccoon contains Mothra, and... (I quote) "A light mist of golden snow begins to fall from her wings. It rains down onto the monsters, filling them with happiness and wonder." If that stuff got collected, it would be the most expensive drug offered on the market!

godzilla25
And they all lived happily ever after! The end.

godzilla26

This was a book I'd been looking for over a three month period, ever since I saw a copy offered on eBay! And as luck would have it, I found it at a garage sale in Olympia in late May for less than a buck!

Jon

9 comments:

  1. as a major time Godzilla Fan, i think.... The guy that wrote this should haven writen that Godzilla rip off done by the yanks about 1996... This is alot closer to Godzilla then that thing was..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they even had Godzilla children books!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find, Jon, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manic Man - I agree 100%!

    Chunky B - This is the only one I've come across so far... if there are others, and I find 'em, you'll see 'em here!

    Chunky & Jamdin - You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jon,

    I can tell you there's at least two more because I have them! There's "Who's Afraid of Godzilla?" and "Godzilla Likes to Roar!" and they're just as much fun as this one. Since you put this book on your blog (which I didn't have), I'll work on scanning these other two books and putting them on my blog in the next week or two. I'll let you know when I've got it done!

    Tony
    Way Out Junk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to it, Tony!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now THIS is how you plot a story! Thanks for posting this little treasure. My brain is still reeling from the dust of happiness.

    Word of advice to kids, though - DON'T wake Godzilla when he's napping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matthew, you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.