Saturday, October 18, 2008

By the 10's: Tomb of Dracula!

countdown.jpg

OK, so we're done with Charlton's horror titles... let's take a look at Marvel's major monster title, shall we? Now, I'll be the first to admit, I was never a fan of Tomb of Dracula during its original run, and I've probably only read a handful of issues in the past 20 years or so, but it is definitely a classic, and one of these days, I should track down the Essentials that've come out!

tomb10.jpg
Issue 10

tomb20.jpg
Issue 20

tomb30.jpg
Issue 30

tomb40.jpg
Issue 40 - Anyone know why the logo got changed?

tomb50.jpg
Issue 50 - A rare appearance in TOD by a Marvel Super-Hero!

tomb60.jpg
Issue 60 - I think this may be one of the few issues I've actually read!

tomb70.jpg
Issue 70

And issue 70 ended the series! Looks like this entire series is available in Essentials format, so I don't have much of an excuse not to find them, do I?

Jon

6 comments:

  1. What is intresting and odd is oringally, the writers have said that things like Tomb of Dracula (and the title it was the follow up from) wasn't part of the Marvel universe. That is why when they created and introduced the Character of Blade (in issue 10 of Tomb) he wasn't dressed as a super-hero but more real-life. This universe was meant to be much closer to real-life then the Marvel one (I guess a little like new universe) but they seamed to drop that as they went along.. intresting but true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, but come to think of it, Dr. Strange did do a number of apperances.. even though it wasn't meant to be the marvel universe

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beauties! I remember grabbing a few of these off the newstand wracks when I was a kid and loving them. They just don't make comics like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manic Man - I don't recall ever reading anything that claimed ToD wasn't Marvel Universe... and the Surfer had also appeared in the book, don't forget him!

    Reis - That's true, they don't make 'em like this anymore! More's the pity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As with you, I wasn't really interested with this comic during its original run, but lately I've been re-introducing myself to these gems.

    Our comics blogger just posted a map laying out the first five issues of the series, with another five to follow.

    http://www.zaptownmag.com/?p=506

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.