Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cool Stuff BONUS: Superman Stuff!

Well, the 3 Stooges Cool Stuff post was really, really short... but I didn't want to add Superman stuff to that, especially since I have so much of it (not as much as Batman or Spider-Man stuff, though)... so here's a bonus post!

superman _peaceposter

I remember seeing this poster advertised in the comics back in the early 70s... but this was the first time I'd seen a photo of the actual poster! I've always thought it was rather silly to have Superman giving the peace sign... not that Superman isn't for peace, by any means... but at the time, the peace sign was starting to be co-opted by the establishment (Nixon especially), and I always felt that was just weird...

superman_41windupmarx

Here's a classic Marx tin toy from 1941... wind it up, and Superman stops the plane! Like some other Marx tin toys featuring Superman, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a Popeye version of this, too.

superman_54transogramgame1.JPG

How often do you see Perry White on the box art for any Superman product? That's just part of what makes this 1954 Transogram board game so interesting!

superman_54transogramgame2.JPG

There's the board game... apparently, the players of the game can be Clark, Lois, Jimmy or Perry -- one would think whoever gets Clark would have the advantage!

superman_67thermos

1967 Superman thermos! Odd that the style appears to be more 1950s...

superman_brush.JPG

Superman figural brush! Sold, I believe, by Avon.

superman_color3stories

This Superman coloring book appears to be from the 1980s, based on Luthor's costume! Or is that Luthor in the Pterodactyl (or Pteranodon)'s mouth?

superman_color_missile

This older (possibly late 60s or early 70s) Superman coloring book has probably the most un-dynamic Superman pose of any Superman coloring book ever!

superman_colorbynumber66

Even this 1966 (or so the seller said) coloring book cover is more dynamic! Although it appears the Superman pose is swiped from a Wayne Boring piece of art (or maybe Boring did it himself, but simplified the drawing?).

superman_colorforms

Superman colorforms with Neal Adams box art!

And that's where we'll end it for today!

Jon

8 comments:

  1. gee, i never understood why American's turned that Sign into meaning Peace... they seam to be the only ones i know that use it for that means.. most people use it for Victory (thus the V sign).. of course, it was an inverted version of the old two finger salute ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, Manic Man, I was too young at the time to know... but I'd surmise that by using the V for Victory sign, the younger generation was subverting a gesture started in wartime for peacetime purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funnily, although it's easy to trace the V for Victory sign back to Churchill -- it's only a Nixon if you do it with both hands -- I can't find any definitive word on why it was co-opted by the peace movement. Your explanation is as good as any I've seen! It was definitely post-Churchill and pre-Nixon.

    Anyway, I vividly remember showing my anti-war parents the ad for that poster in a DC comic and telling them this showed Superman was cool and pro-peace and pro-hippie. Of course, this was further demonstrated when Jack Kirby had Supes and Jimmy Olsen join the Hairies for a psychedelic groove-in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the Super Right-On Target poster hanging on my bedroom door for years! I loved it then and it still looks great now. Wish I still had it!

    Another Superman item I had which I'd love to be able to track down was the excellent Superman Viewmaster set, which had beautiful animation-style art presented in the typical Viewmaster 3-D style. I imagine if anyone has a complete set of those for sale, I'd probably have to re-mortgage my home to buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would be surprised how cheaply it can be had, Joe! I got my set on eBay for maybe five bucks (it was just the reels, no envelope or booklet, but still...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? Wow, that's unbelievable! I've never bought anything off ebay because I'm always leery of buying anything through mail order. Been burned too many times. There are so many crooks out there, and so many thieves in the postal service that I'm never sure whether I'm going to receive the stuff that I paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, what I would recommend you do is find the labels (on the left side of the blog, almost at the bottom) and click "Way of the Geek," where you'll then get all the articles in that series to date. Each interviewee was asked about their recommendations for people who buy and sell -- the first article actually is about me, and I go into a lot of detail in my guidelines for buying and selling. I do recommend you try it... there's a lot of cool stuff to be found there, and if you pay with PayPal, your purchases are protected, so you can't be ripped off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.