Thursday, November 06, 2008

Quickie Review: Cloverfield!

Wow... I just finished watching Cloverfield on DVD (courtesy of my local library), and I must say... this was so much better of a movie than the American Godzilla, it's not even funny!

Yes, I know, Cloverfield came out a looong time ago, and it's been out on DVD a looong time already, but let me tell you, if you like monster movies and you haven't seen this one yet -- do so!

I have to admit that when I first heard about this movie, I figured it wasn't worth seeing in the theaters, having been burned on the aforementioned American Godzilla, but it would've been awesome, I'm sure, to see it on the big screen (not that wife Jessi would've probably been able to handle the intensity of it).

I have a few things to wonder about it, though, and I'll put them in the first comment, so if you haven't seen it yet and don't want to be spoiled, DON'T LOOK!

2 comments:

  1. OK, did I miss something, or was there never any mention for sure of where that monster came from?

    I did look at one of the special features that mentioned the thing was a baby, just recently hatched... so I'm assuming that it was some kind of bio-tech experiment that went horribly wrong... unless it was in some kind of egg that crashed on earth from space?

    And those awful spider-things that kept jumping off it and killing people... I'm going to guess that they were some kind of pests, like fleas or ticks, that decided to go after easier prey.

    But my main question is... and perhaps this would've been answered if I watched all the special features... was the monster finally killed when Manhattan was blown off the planet?

    My secondary question would be... is a sequel being considered? If the monster wasn't killed after all, then a sequel possibility is right there, so long as they can come up with a good enough "hook" for it (as opposed to this "Blair Witch Done Right" approach).

    Any answers, ideas, theories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it didn't come out that long ago... well.. after 2000 at any rate.. most say i have no intrest in it.. An American Kauji film where the adverts and stuff try to downplay the fact of it being a giant monster film... that and i haven't heard anything good about it that would be to my taste.. Better then the American Zilla isn't really saying much... Batman was a better Godzilla film then Zilla was ^_^
    (oh, by the way, there are two 'fan names' for the American monster.. Either Zilla or Gino (Godzilla in Name Only). The Japanese ones have a couple of nice refences.. in, i think it was the 2000's Godzilla X Mechagodzilla, they comment that the americans 'claimed' to have been attacked by Godzilla but it wasn't. And in Final Wars, Zilla appears and it completey and easily destoried by Godzilla

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.