Friday, December 05, 2008

By the 10's: My Greatest Adventure/The Doom Patrol!

This By the 10's is one of the few DC titles that changed titles in midstream... and I can honestly say that I don't think I ever read any pre-Doom Patrol issues of My Greatest Adventure, so no comments on those...

1mga010.jpg
Issue 10

1mga020.jpg
Issue 20

Y'know, it does occur to me that maybe I've read some of these stories if they were reprinted in the 1970s...

1mga030.jpg
Issue 30

1mga040.jpg
Issue 40 - "Ice Age Giant" indeed!

1mga050.jpg
Issue 50

1mga060.jpg
Issue 60

1mga070.jpg
Issue 70

Looking at these first seven covers of this By the 10's, I wonder how things would've worked out if someone at DC had created a group of adventurers who didn't have powers for this book... or maybe if the Challengers of the Unknown, Sea Devils, or other groups had been moved into this title!

1mga080.jpg

Issue 80, and the Doom Patrol are introduced... and this title would never be the same again!

2dp090.jpg

Issue 90, and the Doom Patrol's already taken over the title!

2dp100.jpg

Issue 100 - man, they threw new stuff in the Doom Patrol that stuck all the time, didn't they?

2dp110.jpg

Issue 110!

2dp120.jpg

Issue 120!

Sadly, the original run of the Doom Patrol didn't last too long after this issue... and despite the attempts to revive the book, nothing seems to have really stuck. I had high hopes for John Byrne's revival, but even that didn't work out. At least there's Archives, although I'm still hoping for Showcase Presents The Doom Patrol!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:57 PM

    Did you write this a while ago? The second Showcase volume just came out recently, finishing the run of the original title.
    Also, last week's episode of Batman: The Brave & The Bold did a good job of adapting the death of the Doom Patrol even if they did work Batman into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was published in December 2008, and I probably wrote the post a few months before that.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.