Wednesday, January 14, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick McGoohan and Ricardo Montalban

So, we've lost two more genre icons in one day...

Patrick McGoohan, of course, is best known to geeks everywhere as the creator (or co-creator, I've never been quite sure which is the appropriate credit) and star of "The Prisoner," one of my favorite TV series of all time. He's also known for portraying Dr. Syn, Alias the Scarecrow in one or two Disney productions, as well.

Ricardo Montalban's main claim to fame was probably Mr. Roarke on Fantasy Island, although geeks like me can't help but first think of him as Khan, from the Star Trek episode "Space Seed" and, of course, "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan."

Both Patrick and Ricardo will be missed...

...and I apologize if this offends anyone, but I swear to god, the first thing that popped into my head when I heard Montalban had passed away was picturing William Shatner showing up at the funeral and shouting at the top of his lungs, "KHAAAAAAAN!"

Yeah, that's the way my mind works sometimes. Deal with it.

2 comments:

  1. Ricardo Montalban must have been a contender for Lady's Man of the year at least a few times during his lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't surprise me a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.