Thursday, May 14, 2009

By the 10's: Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos!

Time for another By the 10's, and this time around it's Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos, the war book for people who hate war books!

fury010.jpg

Issue 10!

fury020.jpg

Issue 20!

fury030.jpg

Issue 30 - Fury's as tough on shirts as Doc Savage is, eh?

fury040.jpg

Issue 40!

fury050.jpg

Issue 50!

fury060.jpg

Issue 60!

fury070.jpg

Issue 70!

fury080.jpg

Issue 80!

fury090.jpg

Issue 90! I believe about this time, the book went reprint every other issue.

fury100.jpg

Issue 100 - That's an awesome cover, could be a movie poster, eh?

fury110.jpg

Issue 110!

fury120.jpg

Issue 120!

fury130.jpg

Issue 130!

fury140.jpg

Issue 140!

fury150.jpg

Issue 150! I'm pretty sure around the time "Blazing Battle Action" got added on the top of the covers, the book was all-reprint!

fury160.jpg

Issue 160! I have to admit it, I'm kind of surprised the book lasted that long -- I didn't remember seeing it on the stands any more about this time!

Next: Li'l Genius!

5 comments:

  1. Yep.. by the time they got 'Blazing Battle Action with' added, it was reprints.. which makes issue 140 a bit ify. Introducing a character which was introduced almost 100 issues ago (#45)

    Gotta feel sorry for Gabe.. not only shouldn't he be there (the US didn't allow mixed units until after the war) but he seams to spend most of the war being captured or having a gun pushed into his head..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the Howling Commandos but Nick Fury goes through more shirts than Doc Savage. Good thing the government is there to redress him everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both of your comments! It wouldn't surprise me if there was some connection between both characters' torn shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:53 AM

    Sgt. Fury 120 was the last new issue. It was all reprint until issue 167 or so, which reprinted the first issue.

    Nick Caputo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nick -- I'm glad I can always count on my readers to fill in info I don't have (or get too lazy to confirm myself!)! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.