Thursday, June 18, 2009

Cool Stuff!

Let's see, there was more Planet of the Apes stuff to show, wasn't there?

pota_megofortress

Ah, Mego's Fortress, which was probably reused for at least one other action figure line (although I can't think of which one it was off the top of my head)... or maybe it was a redress of an older Action Jackson thing. Or maybe I'm mixing this up with the treehouse?

pota_modelsassembled

Here's some of the Planet of the Apes models, assembled and painted by modelers much more talented than I am!

pota_newspaper1.JPG
pota_newspaper2.JPG
pota_newspaper3.JPG

I love pieces of memorabilia like this one, which was designed to promote the first movie. Never mind that it would be anachronistic (given that the Ape civilization didn't seem to be using the printing press in any form)... it's cool!

pota_oilcanpuzzle1 pota_oilcanpuzzle2

These "oil can" puzzles were also sold in standard boxes, too!

pota_plate

Planet of the Apes plate - beautiful!

pota_plushback.JPG

Here's the back of the box for the plush Planet of the Apes figures... it's not my imagination, right? It's a line art version of the artwork for the model kits, isn't it?

pota_plushgalen pota_plushzaius

Not a lot of resemblance there to their cinematic counterparts, is there?

pota_radio

The licensors got a lot of mileage of that "family portrait" picture from Escape from the Planet of the Apes, didn't they? Here's a cool radio it was used on!

pota_targetset

Here's the Multiple Toymakers target set... not sure why they thought you'd want to shoot Cornelius or Zira!

pota_teachersguide.jpg

I would've loved to win a copy of this item, just to read what it has to say!

pota_ukposter.jpg

And here's a half-sheet UK poster for the first movie!

prisoner_book3

And just for something completely different, here's a paperback novel based on one of my favorite TV shows of all time, The Prisoner!

4 comments:

  1. awesome collection of Apes stuff! i think i had a version of that Apes plate at one time or another. can't remember if it was divided into 3 sections. but i do remember the pictures fading when you put it in the dish washer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed them!

    I'm sure dishwashers were responsible for a lot of lost items... plates and cups like these, Slurpee cups, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always enjoy your looks back at Planet of the Apes. Your collection is quite impressive! Do you have the other four fake newspapers? If not, feel free to contact me and I can e-mail you scans.

    Sincerely,
    Rich Handley
    Timeline of the Planet of the Apes: The Definitive Chronology
    http://www.hassleinbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich,

    Sadly, I don't have any of those... the only vintage POTA item I've got is the presskit for Battle.

    Everything else I present in Cool Stuff (as well as Monster Mondays and Original Comic Art) are photos I saved from eBay auctions.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.