Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cool Stuff: Original Comic Art!

speed28_02_kubert

Here's something different for me... it's page 2 from Speed Comics #28, by Joe Kubert!

speed31_pg_kubert

OK, maybe not so different... here's a page from Speed Comics #31, also by Kubert!

spiderwoman03_17_infantino.jpg

Moving on, here's page 17 from Spider-Woman #3, art by Carmine Infantino!

spiderwoman17_17_infantino

And another page 17, this one from Spider-Woman #17, also Infantino!

spideyss32_pg_mortimer

Up next, here's a page from Spidey Super Stories #32, by Win Mortimer! Doesn't Ock look more like a stereotypical teenage nerd on this page?

spideyss42_17_

Not sure who did the art here on page 17 of Spidey Super Stories #42, but I'd imagine it's Mortimer again!

spideyss55_13_mortimer

Next, it's page 13 from Spidey Super Stories #55, by Mortimer!

spideyuk160_01_giacoia

Now this is different and unusual... a page from the Spidey UK comic book, by Frank Giacoia!

spirit10-22-50_04_eisner

Nice to get the occasional Eisner page... this one is page 4 from the October 22, 1950 Spirit!

spirit1948_11_nordling

This Spirit Section page features Lady Luck by Klaus Nordling, from a 1948 section!

spirtworld_kirby.jpg

Page 2 from Spirit World by Jack Kirby!

starwars32_06_infantino.jpg

Back to Carmine Infantino again with page 6 from Star Wars #32!

strangeadvs156_08_greene

Next, how about page 8 from Strange Adventures #156, by Sid Greene?

strangeadvs177_01_sparling

And here's page 1 from Strange Adventures #177, by Jack Sparling!

strangeadvs181_cov_baily

Pretty cool cover here for Strange Adventures #181, by Bernard Bailey!

strangeadvs200_01_purcell

Page 1 from Strange Adventures #200, by Howard Purcell! Very nice!

strangeadvs212_04_adams

Turn me on, Deadman! It's page 4 from Strange Adventures #212, by Neal Adams!

It'll continue to be strange next time around, as I'll start with some Strange Tales art!

4 comments:

  1. Is this your collection of original art pieces, or are you just posting photos of them? I owned the Strange Adventures # 181 cover art since the issue was first published, and put it up for auction 2 or 3 years ago -- and was wondering if you were the buyer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they were mine, but alas, I've only got the photos to post.

      Delete
  2. I was 13 years old when I submitted a design and story idea for that issue, and was surprised when the editor accepted it. I believe I was influenced by an earlier Adam Strange "split cover" which was similar. They copied my original design sketch exactly and fleshed out my synopsis into the lead story. I received a free one year subscription to Strange Adventures, as well as the original artwork. My dad always thought that they should have paid me some decent money for that even though I was just a kid at the time. Well -- after having it in my possession for almost 50 years, I was paid over $3,500.00 when it sold at auction. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that great story!

      Delete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.