Sunday, May 30, 2010

Original Comic Art!

dhkf16_49_perez
First up on this installment of "Original Comic Art" is page 49 from Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #16, by George Perez! More after the jump!


dicktracy28_cov_avison
Al Avison's cover for Dick Tracy #28!

docsavage_strip1_cockrum.jpg
docsavage_strip2_cockrum.jpg
docsavage_strip3_cockrum.jpg
docsavage_strip4_cockrum.jpg
docsavage_strip5_cockrum.jpg
docsavage_strip6_cockrum.jpg
When I came across the eBay auction for these Dave Cockrum strips for a proposed Doc Savage newspaper strip, I was at once amazed and saddened... Amazed because I'd never heard of it before, but saddened that this was all that was done.

dollman03_cov_gillfox.jpg
Moving on, here's Gill Fox's cover for Doll Man #3!

doubledare01_20_powell-steranko
Next up, here's page 20 from Harvey's Double-Dare Adventures, by Bob Powell and Jim Steranko!

dp119_01_premiani
Page 1 from Doom Patrol #119, by Bruno Premiani!

drsolar18_cov_georgewilson
A beautiful painted cover for Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom #18 by George Wilson!

drstrange27_22_sutton-chan
Page 22 from Doctor Strange #27, by Tom Sutton and Ernie Chan!

drstrange44_28_colan
Page 28 from Doctor Strange #44, by Gene Colan!

dyano3_21_stone
Page 21 from Dynamo #3, by Chic Stone!

dynamo04_43_stone_part1
dynamo04_43_stone_part2
Page 43 from Dynamo #4, by Stone!

Wow, what a mixed bag of stuff there was this time around! More comic art coming your way in about eight days!

3 comments:

  1. I find great desire for the Dr. Strange pieces.

    Cheers!

    Steven G. Willis
    XOWComics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a big fan of both for decades now…but this is the first I ever heard of Dave Cockrum working up samples for a Doc Savage newspaper strip! I'm not sure how I feel about the combination. I liked Cockrum best on futuristic stuff or fantasy; when he did period settings it still came out looking futuristic anyway. But still…unseen vintage Cockrum? I'm always up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steven - They are nice, aren't they?

    RAB - I think Dave did a great job on those samples, and wish that there was more!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.