Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Schooling Update -- For those of you who want to read about it!

So here's the deal: I've now registered for fall quarter, managed to get three classes totalling 11 credits... too bad they're all on the same two days of the week, but there you go. And SPSCC is only offering two more classes in the 2010-2011 school year I need for my program, which total seven credits. If you want to read more of my rants about this, then click
And that will leave me with six classes that aren't being offered until 2011-2012 school year -- One five-credit class, three four-credit classes, and two three-credit classes. I'm sure those will be spread out over the entire school year.

So far as trying to go over anyone's heads, there's nothing that can be done... I don't know what my original advisor did to get herself put on "administrative leave," but that phrase is never used because of something good happening, is it? The classes that I needed that won't be offered just can't be taken there.

My schooling is being paid for by the state of Washington as part of their dislocated worker program, because my old field of graphic design is a non-demand field at this time, but medical assisting is high-demand. Part of the deal with the state was that they would only pay for school for two years, and this change screws that up. My counselor at WorkSource (who handles the money end of things) is working with others at his office to see what can be done, because I'm obviously not the only person affected by this.

You want to know the dumbest part of all this? When I met with the Dean of Natural Sciences yesterday morning, he had two suggestions for me:

1) Re-enter the graphic design field, which he apparently thinks there are a lot of jobs in (why he thinks he has any idea what jobs there are in graphic design is beyond me, as it's way beyond what his knowledge base is).

2) To maintain a full-time status, he suggested that I take additional classes that could be applied towards future educational needs (I'd like to eventually become a PA or possibly get into the nursing program). Now, the state won't pay for those classes since they aren't part of the program they agreed to pay for, and I certainly can't get enough financial aid to cover those.

Add into this the fact that sooner or later, I'll run out of unemployment benefits of all kinds, and I'll probably end up having to look for work of some kind before this schooling is all finished, hopefully something that will pay well enough to replace the lost benefits income while not interfering with classes.

2 comments:

  1. I have nothing useful to add here, except to say that these updates are much appreciated, and I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.