Thursday, September 23, 2010

Dog of the Geek: Bandit!

banditBreed: The list of “Famous Dogs” identifies him as a terrier, while I always thought he was some kind of bulldog. Wikipedia refers to Bandit as a small white bulldog.
Original Appearances: The Jonny Quest animated series, naturally!
Other Appearances: Bandit also appeared in Jonny Quest comic books and other books. He was immortalized in plastic in a Jonny Quest action figure set produced by McFarlane Toys.
Biography: Primarily used as comic relief, let's face it... Bandit was not present as protection for his master, Jonny! However, one cannot igore the fact that he's usually pretty brave for such a small dog, even if his curiosity gets him into trouble often. Since he accompanies the Quests, Race Bannon and Hadji everywhere, he is probably the most well-traveled dog in any Hanna-Barbera cartoon with the exception of Scooby-Doo and probably Astro from The Jetsons.
Powers: Bandit has an amazing ability to understand human speech, especially Jonny's.
Group Affiliation: The Quest family.
Miscellaneous: Series creator Doug Wildey appearently wanted Jonny to have a monkey as a pet, but was overruled by Hanna and Barbera. An alternative version of Bandit was used in “The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest,” although he was portrayed straighter, without comic relief.

Next month, the Dog of the Geek feature will focus on werewolves for October's "Countdown to Halloween"!

5 comments:

  1. I am not a dog person but that little bugger was all right. I think that is why if I ever had a dog it would have to be a pug. Usually I don`t trust dogs like I don`t trust anything that loves me that unconditionally but pugs always seem like they are laughing at me and that seems to me to be the start of a good relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely not a terrier as drawn. But why split hairs. He did serve sometimes as a vital early warning system for the boys. When there was always the threat of someone sneaking a cobra into your room at night a little bark box like this comes in handy.

    Lazarus Lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    ReplyDelete
  3. The impression I get is Wildey wanted a strictly dramatic series, like Terry and the Pirates and other cartoon strips of that ilk, but Joe Barbera felt comic relief was needed in a half hour show, so Bick Bickenbach designed the dog. I can't say Doug was wrong, but Bandit fit in fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that Wildey's discomfort with Bandit might have been the very thing that made the dog work so well in the series. Because the creators were struggling against the push for comic relief, Bandit behaved more like a real dog than any other canine on a tv cartoon I can recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I think that's the most comments of any of the "Dog of the Geek" posts so far!

    Thanks for all of your comments.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.