Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Comic Book Advertisements!

Time to look at another handful of original comic book advertisements!

dc_06_70_3
And the first one, from the June, 1970 cover-dated DCs, is one of those ads that really frustrated me and probably every other kid reading comics at the time who lived nowhere near New Jersey, where Palisades Amusement Park was located! We'd see these ads with the coupons, and somehow think that this park featured all kinds of DC-related attractions (which some Six Flags parks have these days, but I digress).

Palisades Amusement Park opened in 1898, and remained open until 1979, apparently a victim of its own success (according to Wikipedia, anyway). It seems that it couldn't handle the crowds it attracted! Apparently parking and traffic problems were a huge mess. These days, there's a high-rise luxury apartment complex where Palisades Amusement Park existed.

Of course, the park will live on in the memories of those of us who read the comics of this period, as well as those people who listen to oldies sons, specifically Freddy Cannon's "Palisades Park"! If you want to learn more about the park, check out the Palisades Amusement Park Historical Society's website!

More ads after the jump!

dc_06_70_5
Another ad from the same comic, and this one really spoke to me, personally! I would imagine that this specific ad got me to want this model, and I did actually own it. The lack of painting required was probably a big selling point to me.

dc_06_70_4
Another ad from the same month's DCs? You bet! And it's the first house ad of this installment, too! DC's "mystery" titles, especially in the 1970s and early 1980s, was kind of used as a training ground of sorts for new writers and artists. What's really odd about this is that I've heard that the mystery titles were some of DC's best-selling books in the 1970s!

dc_06_70_6
Another ad from the June, 1970s DCs to wrap up this installment! I don't remember being interested in "Moon-Blob" back in the day... but what it appears to be is a dehydrated version of the green slime that's been in toy stores for the past 20 years or so. As the ad says, you'd add water to activate it! Want to know the most surprising thing about this? You can still find this! You can buy it from this website. I don't get a thing out of your clicking that link, by the way.

More ads coming your way in five days!

3 comments:

  1. Agreed on everything you say about Palisades amusement park. I never had the chance to visit there, and it's definitely one of those things I wish I'd seen at least once...even though I was tipped off at the time it didn't have any super-hero themed attractions or rides.

    Another selling point of the Snoopy model was the snap-together construction, at least for kids like me prone to accidentally gluing our fingers together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:24 AM

    I live in Jersey, My Mother use to take me to Palisades amusement park every Thursday back in the 60's, I wish I could say that there were DC-related attractions, But I can't, It was just a bunch of regular Amusement Park rides and Stands where you win prizes, I remember winning a live Goldfish once there, And I never bothered to cut the Coupons out of the comic, It wasn't worth it, So don't feel left out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard: Agreed on Palisades! And I meant to mention Snoopy was snap-together (which is probably why it looked the best of any model I built as a child)!

    Anonymous: Well, sounds like it was still a fun place to go!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.