Monday, November 15, 2010

Comic Book Advertisements!

This time around, I'm looking at a few ads from the April, 1972 cover-dated DC comics, although some of the ads may have appeared elsewhere, too!

dc_04_72_1
Ah, I fondly remember this line of model kits from Aurora... Prehistoric Scenes came out around the midst of my major dinosaur mania! As a kid, I was so into dinosaurs that I read every single book I could get my hands on about them... and for that time period, I actually looked forward to my family's annual trips to the Dakotas to visit relatives, because Rapid City, South Dakota (my birthplace) had a museum with an amazing array of dino fossils... and also had Dinosaur Park, with four or five life-sized dinosaur statues! Ah, those were the days!

I recall that I had the Flying Reptile, Neanderthal Man, and the Sabertooth Tiger (the only model series I owned more of were the AMT Star Trek line). The most epic one of the kits was the Tyrannosaurus Rex, which was HUGE! I never got that one, unfortunately, although I always wanted it... it must've been too much for me to afford.

If you want the low-down on this incredible model series, complete with details about the reissues, go check out the My Aurora Prehistoric Scenes Model Site, which does a great job!

dc_04_72_2
Next up, here's a house ad for House of Mystery #201, which I decided to scan and share just because of the awesome lettering on the ad!

dc_04_72_3
And here's one more house ad, this one for The Unexpected #134! Again, it's the lettering that I dig the most about this ad! You can't tell it from this cover image, but the coloring was quite different on the actual comic. Oh, heck, may as well show it to you to compare! I'm not sure that this was really "D.C.'s Best" as the ad claimed, but I know the same blurb was used for bunches of other house ads!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.