Saturday, February 12, 2011

Comic Book Advertisements!

harvey_03_68_1
First up today is this ad from the March 1968 cover-dated Harvey comics, and it's for the Construct-All, which I can only imagine was produced in competition with Erector Sets! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find out much about this Transogram toy!

harvey_03_68_2
From the same month's Harvey comics comes this ad for a Batman Full Color Electric Projector! Now, you'd think I'd know a lot about this, as it's similar to the Give-A-Show Projector... based on the text, it appears to be a variation on an opaque projector (Kenner did one for the Super Show Projector, and there were others produced as well). What's most interesting to me is where it says you get 100 free Superhero photos, and mentions Batman, the Penguin, and "Freezeman" -- whom I can only imagine is supposed to be Mr. Freeze! This is something I've been watching for on eBay for quite some time, and I don't believe I've ever run across it!

harvey_03_68_3
Another one from that same month's Harveys is this full-page ad for Daisy BB guns! Now... I have to say that I'm kind of surprised to find this ad in Harvey's books, since at this time they were pretty much just doing Casper, Richie Rich, and books like those... is this really the same market group that's wanting BB guns?

Naturally, you don't find ads like this in comics anymore... especially since these rifles could be easily mistaken for rifles that shoot bullets, instead of the comparatively less-lethal BBs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.