Saturday, March 19, 2011

Comic Book Advertisements!

I'm still looking at ads that appeared in Charlton's Blue Beetle Vol. 3, these are from issue 23!
bluebeetlev3n51_23
Wubble Bubble? I don't believe I've ever heard of that before, and it would appear that from the Derby, CO address, it must've been something Charlton was involved with selling. It doesn't appear to be all that big a deal, it's just a huge bubble wand -- at least they weren't trying to sell you bubble soap as well! Of course, there's that magic ad we've seen in previous installments as well. And then there's the Learn to Play Guitar the Chet Atkins Way book! At $2.98, it was quite a bit more expensive than the martial arts school ads, eh? For those not in the know, Chet Atkins was a famous guitarist and record producer who helped create the "Nashville sound," and developed a picking style inspired by Merle Travis, Django Reinhardt, George Barnes, and Les Paul. Among Atkins' production clients were Elvis Presley and the Everly Brothers. You can visit the official website of this late, great guitar star here.

bluebeetlev3n51_24
On the very next page of this same book appeared these two ads! Now, the Frontier Cabin? I have major doubts that it looked exactly as it shows there. The ad says it's made of polyethylene, and I'd imagine that given they were a buck plus a quarter for postage that the "cabin" was basically a tent, since it's designed to set over a card table. Also on this page was the familiar "Monster Size Monsters" ad, although it's a very different version of the ad than I've seen before! Of course, the "monsters" were actually posters.

bluebeetlev3n51_34
I had to include this ad for U.S. Government Surplus stuff because it reminded me of what I'd read about when Hasbro was developing GI Joe, and all the stuff they'd buy at Army Surplus stores so they could scale it down. I noticed the ad doesn't say how much a Jeep would run you!

bluebeetlev3n51_35
It's been a while since I posted any ad for a body-building course... note how the ad taunts you with the offer of a dime to get 60 LBS OF MIGHTY MUSCLES! Of course, there's always a need for actual equipment do do actual bodybuilding, and I'd imagine that the book probably offered that stuff for sale, too. Funny to think there was a time when advertisers placed ads in comics because they figured the readers were too skinny, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.