Friday, May 06, 2011

Cool Stuff: More Marvel Stuff!

msh_spideydartset
Oh, Spider Dart Set, how do you fail? Let me could the ways... 1) Spider-Man has nothing to do with dart guns; 2) There's not even a Spidey logo on the gun, making it obviously a repurposed toy in order to take advantage of a license without spending much extra money; 3) The Spider-Man image on the target is completely obscured by the gun; 4) The target features superheroes, not supervillains! Why would you want to shoot the heroes? 5) There's a LOT of wasted space on that card where they could easily have plugged in some extra clip art from the licensing library.

Hopefully the rest of this installment's stuff has less fail!

msh_spideyhulk_iceeposter
Well, this poster is all win, so far as I'm concerned! This promoted a then-current Icee promotion (apparently 7-Eleven wasn't doing superhero Slurpee cups by this point).

msh_spideyhulkplaydoh
I must say, I love it when an eBay seller takes the extra step to provide a complete photo of the product they're selling! As goofy as the molds for this Pla-Doh set might look, it's a great toy for the kiddies who weren't old enough for cooler superhero toys yet!

msh_standups
here's one of those items that I keep hoping I'll find that someone who owns them decided to scan them all and post high-res photos on the 'net so we can print 'em out and make our own standees!

msh_subby_argentstandee.jpg
Here's the Sub-Mariner piece of those weird soccer-playing superhero standees from Argentina!

msh_subby_marvelmaniapillow.JPG
Subby Marvelmania plastic inflatable pillow! Not quite as cool as the others that came out at this time...

msh_subby_patch
Ah, this Sub-Mariner logo patch, what a way to find out how many of your friends were pronouncing it "Sub-Mah-REE-ner"!

msh_submariner_gulliver
Gulliver South America Namor figure... too bad the color of the plastic makes it look more like Triton rather than Subby!

msh_superherowomendisplay
This has to be the rarest item in today's post... the point of purchase display for "The Superhero Women"! Looks like it's in excellent shape, too!

msh_superpuzzles
I'd guess that these Superheroes Super Puzzles are just a little less rare than the POP display!

msh_surfer_gulliver
Gulliver South America Silver Surfer figure!

msh_surferglowingheroes
These Glowing Heroes flashlights continually puzzle me... I mean, it's obvious the manufacturer had access to the licensing art, as you can see from the card... so why did they have the art badly redrawn for the flashlight itself?

msh_sw_cap-doom
Secret Wars Two-Pack! I can imagine that in the Toy Story world, while this was on the shelves, the following conversation took place:

DOOM: Once we are freed from these forcefield-like prisons, I shall at last have my revenge on the hated Fantastic Four!

CAP: Never, Doom! Besides, they didn't even make any Fantastic Four members in this toy line. You'll have to have revenge on me, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Iceman, the Falcon, and Daredevil!

DOOM: Wait, what??? Iceman, the Falcon, and Daredevil weren't even in "Secret Wars"!

CAP: Don't ask me why they're in the line... I would've thought they'd have included the Hulk, too... I mean, it wasn't like his TV show had been off the air for that long.

DOOM: Doom does not understand these miscreant toy manufacturers one bit. You star-spangled simpleton, you should have been packaged with that whelp Zemo!

CAP: No kidding. I don't even have my right shield. But I guess other than that, at least my costume's better than my Mego counterpart... oh, that's right, they didn't make a Doom Mego, did they?

DOOM: Curse you!

msh_sw_cap3dpuzzle.JPG
Speaking of Cap, here's a goofy-looking Captain America 3-D Secret Wars puzzle that looks like it wouldn't have challenged my daughter when she was 2!

msh_sw_captamgumball1
Apparently nobody knew that Cap and Doom weren't a good pairing, because here they are again on this Gumball Machine from the Secret Wars line!

msh_sw_doomcopter1
Secret Wars Doom Copter! Man, that has to have been repurposed from another toy line...

msh_sw_doomroller1
The Doom Roller looks pretty goofy unless you take it out of that huge wheel, doesn't it?

msh_sw_kangbuddylvehicle
Speaking of goofy, check out this Kang Buddy L Secret Wars vehicle! That has to be another extremely rare item!

msh_sw_ock-doom-cap-wolverine
Buddy L was just phoning it in at this point, I fear... Take the stickers off and they could've been just regular Buddy L vehicles!

msh_sw_patch
Yes, there was a Secret Wars patch... and here it is!

msh_sw_plate
I'd forgotten I had so much Secret Wars stuff in this volume, like that SW party plate!

msh_sw_prestomagix
Secret Wars Presto-Magix set!

msh_sw_puffystickers
Secret Wars Puffy Stickers and Album!

msh_sw_spideygumball
Hey Kids, watch Spider-Man spin around on his butt while you gobble down gumballs to reveal a picture of Doc Ock (who is, at least, a Spidey villain) and overdose on sugar!

msh_sw_tops
I'm not even sure what to make of this Battle Twisters Secret Wars game...

msh_sw_towerofdoom1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Mattel later use most of the Tower of Doom for another toy line, perhaps Masters of the Universe?

msh_sw_turbocopter1
This Secret Wars Turbo Copter wraps up the SW stuff!

And we'll finish off this current group of Marvel items next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.