Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dog of the Geek: Fleabag!

the-oddball-coupleBreed: Generic

Original Appearances: The Oddball Couple (DePatie-Freleng, 1975-1977), ABC Television

Other Appearances:
Unknown

Biography: Given that The Oddball Couple was inspired by The Odd Couple, it should come as no surprise that Fleabag the dog was the sloppy Oscar type to Spiffy's Felix. The two animals lived in the same house, half-mansion/half-shack, and shared a car that was half-pristine/half junker.

Powers: None

Group Affiliation:
Fleabag and Spiffy rented an office together, so presumably they co-ran a business together.

Miscellaneous: Paul Winchell voiced Fleabag. Ironically enough, The Oddball Couple first aired the same year The Odd Couple was cancelled by ABC!

2 comments:

  1. Let's not forget that Spiffy's voice was done by Frank Nelson (the "Yessssss?" man from the Jack Benny radio & TV programs). It was cancelled after 1 season, and there's a pretty good reason why. While it tried to retain the spirit of The Odd Couple, ABC buried it near the bottom of the lineup. I'll have more to say over in my blog, Saturday Morning Archives, later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall if I came across that when doing my research on this show... I suppose if I did, I decided not to include it due to the feature being "Dog of the Geek" -- still, it's a very cool bit of trivia!

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.