Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Kirby Kovers #20

12458
First up in this week's Kirby Kovers installment is Sandman #4! Note that Jack used a basically circular design to frame Jed in, yet he also set it all off-kilter to enhance the nightmare feeling!

29023
Next up, it's Strange Tales #101! Now, I'm going to go off on a bit of a tangent here... long-time readers will recall that I had a feature going for a little while in which I posted covers with a similar theme, and one of those themes was carnivals and amusement parks. I'm pretty sure that I didn't use this one, probably because in thumbnail view, it's not that obvious! Anyway... here Jack makes good use out of the Torch's firey "tail" to draw your attention to the Destroyer, then to the men falling from the broken amusement ride, and then to the Torch, pointing back at the Destroyer again!

29505
Next we have Tales to Astonish #39. Now, you know I love Jack Kirby's work, but I'm not sure that even he was able to successfully pull off the Scarlet Beetle as a visual threat... maybe it's those eyes?

29142
Finally, we have Strange Worlds #5 (was this book reprints from another title?). This cover is a great example of how well Jack captured emotion! Look at the face of the guy in the front!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.