Monday, May 21, 2012

10 of a Kind: 50s & 60s Music Groups I Like (other than the Beatles)

Just because you guys already I know I like the Beatles. And what the heck, let's leave the Monkees out too, since you know I'm a fan there!

1. The Beach Boys: How can you be a fan of 60s music and not be a fan of the Beach Boys?

2. The Doors: I've been a fan of these guys for a while... maybe it's because Morrison sang in my own range?

3. The Mamas and the Papas: I would love to see some footage of them actually performing -- the Ed Sullivan appearances I've seen were all mimed to recordings. Love their harmonies!

4. Bill Haley and the Comets: The first real rock and roll band? Even if they'd just done "Rock Around the Clock," they'd have earned their place in rock and roll history, but went on to do other songs too, such as their version of "Shake, Rattle and Roll." They were iconic enough of the 1950s that Happy Days used "Rock Around the Clock" as their theme originally!

5. The Dave Clark Five: It may surprise you to learn that after the Beatles, these guys are my second-favorite British Invasion group. But they are followed rather closely by...

6. The Rolling Stones: Still prefer their 1960s stuff and some of the early 70s stuff -- you've got to admire these guys, they've been performing longer than anyone!

7. The Byrds: Another group with wonderful harmonies!

8. The Ventures: My favorite instrumental band of all time!

9. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass: My second favorite instrumental band of all time!

10. The Cowsills: Odd choice? Perhaps, but I love their version of "Hair"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.