Sunday, June 03, 2012

It Oughtta Be...

bewitched01...a series of trade paperbacks, or maybe even hard covers!
bullwinklemothermoose1
What the heck am I talking about? TV comics. You know, those comic books that were based on TV series, mostly published by Dell or Gold Key, but sometimes also Charlton.

dellgiant41bradybunch01I've had this idea for years and years... start an imprint called "TV Comics" that exists just to collect these books. Oh, I know the majority of them aren't really that great, but on the other hand, some of these books are staying out of my price range, and I'd like to have a chance to read them some day. Plus, most of these shows have fans who are running out of things to collect about them.

fourcolor1040Now, I will admit, some of the comics don't really have enough issues to get an entire volume done (I mean, how many one or two issue series were there, right?), so maybe some would be tossed in as bonuses, or perhaps they could be themed (such as a Filmation collection). I don't think the rights to publish these would be that expensive to get, either -- some may be more expensive than others, sure.

getsmart1But just think about how could it would be if you had a single volume book on your shelf with all of Dell's Monkees or Bewitched comic book. Or maybe just Gold Key's Battle of the Planets. Whatever your favorite TV show of the past was, there may have been a comic series that you've never read.

I think the most likely publisher out there to tackle this would be Dark Horse, so consider this getting your attention, people!
monkees01
outerlimits01By the same token, I don't know why the heck DC hasn't gotten on the ball and started doing similar reprints of all the Looney Tunes and Hanna-Barbera comics that've been published! There's a market for these things, especially if they can keep the price points decent.

And whoever has the Disney license these days should really step it up there, too!
fantasticvoyage1
Like I said, I'd love to have these -- it would be even better if some collections had comics from multiple publishers, just so you could compare them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.