Monday, June 11, 2012

It's This N' That Time Again!

Time for another assortment of ramblings and things that don't merit separate posts!

ITEM! So I've started collecting Book and Record Sets, as my Give-A-Show collection is pretty near to being complete. Of course, being on a budget, I have to get them on the cheap, and I've been lucky to find some at garage sales, some for as low as 50 cents each! As I did with my Give-A-Show collection, I've been digitizing these, and you can find the videos I've made so far on my new Facebook page, Book and Record Sets. Check it out, won't you?

ITEM! So as of this writing, I'm still looking for work... although I'm waiting a callback on my last interview. Hopefully, I'll have some good news soon! To be honest, it's been an extremely frustrating experience, given that the field I retrained for, Medical Assisting, is supposed to be a high demand position right now -- because it isn't! There's much more of a demand for truck drivers, to be honest!

ITEM! So last week, on Tuesday... my van got rear-ended on the interstate by a moron who apparently didn't remember that the section of I-5 that we were on ALWAYS -- ALWAYS -- has slowdowns and outright stops during that time period Monday through Friday. My son Tristan and I were the only ones in the van at the time, and we both got checked out at the emergency room afterwards. We're still a bit stiff and sore, but we got really lucky that there was no serious injury to either of us. The van, on the other hand, has about $7,700 worth of damage to it (according to the place we took it to, anyway). It looks like it'll be about a week until we get it back -- and until then, we're driving a rental Grand Caravan (paid for by the other guy's insurance, naturally). It's a very nice van, although I miss the USB port our Kia Sedona has, which I can plug a flash drive into with MP3 files to listen to!

ITEM! Remember the contest I announced a while back, offering a prize package for one lucky person who did something to help promote the return of the Random Acts of Geekery? Well, the winner is... nobody, because I didn't get a single contest entry. And sadly, my hits have been pretty much the same as they were when I first started the contest a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how to respond to this, to tell you the truth -- I don't know if the lack of entries was because the prize package wasn't good enough, or if just nobody had an interest in participating at all. I may decide to try it again... or maybe not. I need some way to get my readers back up to where they were, but that may not be possible. There's about a third of the people reading this blog now as there used to be... wish I hadn't done that break back when, because I suspect that part of the drop was just people getting out of the habit of reading it -- the rest was the change of URL. Well, at this time, I have entries written and advance posted through the end of December, we'll see what happens over the next few months, and go from there! Or maybe I should take a page from some of my fellow bloggers and just shut down this blog, and start a new one, even if it pretty much is the same as this one (some would argue that's pretty much what I did by changing the URL).

ITEM! I'm still playing "Draw Something" on my iPad, and since getting a stylus, I'm finally starting to get some of my drawings looking closer to what I had in mind! I'll have to post another gallery soon (even if I've got pictures saved to show that don't reflect what I've done with the stylus). If you're also playing this game, and want to play with me, my user name there is jon-knutson -- hit me up for a game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.