Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Kirby Kovers!

60438
First up in this installment of Kirby Kovers, it's Two-Gun Kid #57! Is it just me, or does it look like someone redrew the Kid's face on this cover? It just doesn't "read" to my eyes like Kirby's stuff. The design on this cover follows a circle, so that no matter where your eye starts, it's going to get drawn all through the action.

301943
And it's another western, this time Prize Comics Western #83! I'm not familiar with this title at all, but this cover makes me interested to know more! Again, a circle design is used to draw you through the cover.

22716
What, a third western title? Yes, and it's Gunsmoke Western #76! At least it's not another circle-based layout, eh? This definitely has the feel of Kirby's work all over, unlike the first one.

23856
Ah, a break from the Westerns! Here's Journey into Mystery #98, with Thor and the Cobra! You know, I wonder if Kirby felt that there was a complete mismatch here, as Thor's expression could almost be taken to be "Wait, are you freaking kidding me?!?" It's amazing the Cobra survived his first encounter with the Thunder God!

Next time... in two weeks... the final Kirby Kovers for this month, and it'll be an extra-large edition in celebration of the King's Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.