Monday, September 10, 2012

Cover Redux!

Time to take another look at original and reprint covers and play "Spot the Differences"! 296 First up, we have Amazing Spider-Man #116, and the reprint from Marvel Tales #95! The first thing that got my attention was Spidey's mask -- look at the original, and you can see his eyes -- his real, actual eyes! Whereas on the reprint, they're the standard opaque white. If I recall correctly, the eyes on the original were on purpose, because Spidey had lost his original costume somehow, and had to use a store-bought one. The other major change seems to be just the thought bubbles for Spidey... the last one is completely different! Anyone spot any other differences? 382 Next, Fantastic Four #91 and Marvel's Greatest Comics #73! At first glance, there don't appear to be many changes -- the blurb "The Thing Enslaved!" has been shrunk and moved, and the dirigible is moved, too... but look closer! The whole image was reduced a bit, and added to on the left side, plus the thug pointing a gun at Ben has been moved up and a lot added to (with the gun pointing in a different direction). 076 Next, we have Tales of Suspense #88 and Marvel Double Feature #12... and I don't know... this one is kind of hard to call, because it could be a complete redraw or maybe just a partial one! The Grand Comics Database doesn't have any information on this, so I'm going t have to make a call myself. If I had to guess, I would say that this was John Romita copying the original Gil Kane cover, mainly changing the angle the sword is bouncing off of Cap's shield, but I notices that the equipment in the lower left-hand corner has some modifications as well. Of course, there's also the added speech balloons, too. The reason I'm guessing Romita was involved is looking at Cap's and Power Man's heads -- in the reprint, they look more Romita than Kane. I kind of wish I had the comic to look at to see if there's other differences, although I'm already noticing that there's some background stuff that wasn't in the original, too. What else can you spot? 469 And finally, we have Sgt. Fury #71 and the reprint in #165 -- and I'm rather puzzled by the change on this cover. No, not the coloring change (although I do prefer the original's colors), but why change the angle of the plane, and eliminate the propeller and speed lines?!? It doesn't make sense. No matter what, it was going to go over the logo anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.