Friday, September 21, 2012

The Fleischer Popeyes: I Yam What I Yam!

Before getting into this cartoon, a brief note about running times: When these cartoons were being made, animated cartoons were made to pretty much whatever length the animators wanted to make them. For example, the first cartoon in the series was 7 minutes and 34 seconds, while this one clocks in at 6:04! The next few in the series are 6:18, 6:53, 5:56, and 6:06. It would be much later that running times for animated shorts became standardized. For this second Popeye (and the first to be labeled in the Popeye series by the title card), we begin with the familiar ship in the background, with doors sliding open to reveal the title of the cartoon -- but the music is still "Strike Up the Band," as it was for the Betty Boop pilot! The cartoon proper then starts, with Popeye singing his theme song, but slightly altered as follows: "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man (toot!), I'm Popeye the Sailor Man (toot!), "I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam, "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man (toot!)." Sd hr vonyinurd yo dinh, er rr yhsy iy'd tsiningh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.