Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Toys: Yellow Submarine Beanie!

IMG_0412
So, when I was living in Wisconsin with my first wife, Barbara, we kind of entered into a new golden age of Beatles collectibles, with all sorts of new items coming out -- especially stuff based on Yellow Submarine, which was coming out in a new release on home video, with extra footage added in (most notably, the missing "Hey Bulldog" sequence). There were two "beanie baby" type of toys produced -- the Yellow Submarine itself, seen above, and the chief Blue Meanie. I used to have both of them, but after Barbara passed away, and I moved back to Washington, jobs were hard to come by, and I had to sell a bunch of stuff off... so this is what's left of that set of two. Apparently, it didn't sell all that great, as I can't seem to find a current listing for any of these on eBay -- and I'm not interested in selling mine!

It's a remarkable likeness of its animated counterpart, and the attention to detail is striking! I just find myself wishing they'd done versions of the Beatles from the cartoon as well!

2 comments:

  1. How did your wife pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination of being obese, diabetic, and dealing with a sub-dermal necrosis (like a flesh-eating bacteria) and the treatment for the latter was more than her body could take... At least, that's my theory.

      Delete

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.