Friday, November 09, 2012

So I'm 50...

...and it began for me three hours early since I was in Ohio making a delivery. Well, my trainer made the delivery, I was sleeping until he woke me because he needed some assistance. Now I'm in Kentucky waiting to get our next load, which is bound for
Phoenix.

Obviously this isn't the ideal 50th birthday. But when you drive a truck for a living that's what you have to expect. I'm probably another two or three weeks from getting home next, have to finish my training period, then we head to the nearest Swift terminal where I'll be assigned my own truck to drive solo. I'll immediately put in for home time then, and hope I'll be routed home quickly.

The worst part of this job is being away from my wife and kids. I talk to them at least once a day, but it's frustrating knowing there's stuff happening back there I can't help with. A few weeks ago, we discovered that my father in law had cancer and that he wouldn't last long... And he passed a week later. He'd been living with us for several years, and had been a big help to us. My wife had to deal with all that by herself, and also had to figure out a plan to get the kids to school without being late to work. I know it's been stressful for her, but she's managed to do it. And all I can do is sympathize on the phone and send money every week.

I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to make this job work for me at this point. I will be trying to get home every four weeks, and we will see how often I miss stuff that happens back there.

The future of this blog is kind of up in the air at this point. Starting the first I'd the year it's low content mode and five day a week postings, and I've got that done through April, and we will see what I can figure out after that. I may need to get a laptop to be able to do posts on the road, or even just being my desktop with me!

Anyway, sorry this post has been kind of a bummer, I guess I just needed to unload.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.