Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Lady and Her Monsters: A Review!

I promised a more in-depth review of this book, and since I'm home at the moment, now is the time!

As I believe I mentioned as I was reading this book, it's a fascinating look at the life of Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, as well as the various events that may have provided inspiration for this book.

I'd never read much about Mary Shelley's life prior to this, and author Roseanne Montillo really brought her to life for me. Honestly, you'll find yourself feeling sorry for her after learning about the tragedies that Shelley could never quite get away from, as well as those that she could never recover fully from.

Reading this book, you'll learn about galvanism as well as the history of body-snatching that accompanied it, as surgeons experimented with electricity on cadavers (human and animal) and how it affected muscles even after death, as well as how they hoped to use electricity to bring the dead back to life.

You'll learn about Shelley's family history, her upbringing, travels, and her love and marriage to poet Percy Shelley.

It was a great read, and a book I'm happy to add to my bookshelf. I highly recommend it to any fan of Frankenstein! You can get a copy for yourself by ordering from the Amazon link below (which I'll get a small cut of eventually), but since I was provided two copies of this book for my review, I am pleased to announce that you can win the second copy of the book from me!

Here's what you have to do: Shoot me an email at waffyjon at comcast dot net with the subject line "Frankenstein Book," and provide your full mailing address. I am also going to be giving additional entries to anyone who contributes to the Krypto Medical Bills Fund (link in the upper left hand corner) any amount of $5 or more.

This contest will end around midnight PST Sunday night, April 26, 2013. I will be drawing one name at random, and notifying the winner via email. Contest is open to all readers of Random Acts of Geekery in the USA only (sorry, it's just a pain to deal with customs forms).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant, I delete all spam! Thanks.